Raspberry PI 7 inch touchscreen and Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Welcome screen

have a new raspberry pi 3 and the Raspberry PI 7 inch touch screen. It is running a currently updated version of Ubuntu Mate 16.04. When the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Welcome screen appears upon boot up the screen is too large to fit on the 7 inch touch screen. I have tried setting the screen attributes according to the elements 14 web site. I have tried doing the sudo rpi-update to update the kernel. I have tried right clicking on the edge of the screen, then clicking on resize option. This didn’t work either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how the ubuntu welcome screen can be resized to fit on the 7 inch touch screen?

Thank you for all your help.

See here, it’s a technical limitation of the display:

Your options are to decrease the font DPI so items on the screen are smaller, as the resolution cannot be changed.

For Welcome in particular, I’ll note down that the window should not have a minimum height/width, and may require some optimisations for small displays. We could add support for this display and maximise it by default.

Another option is to force Welcome to use smaller text. You can run this from the terminal (or edit the launchers in the main menu)

ubuntu-mate-welcome --font-dpi=51

(DPI must be between 50 and 250, 96 the is default)

very good answer. Thank you so much. I hope they fix the hardware in the future. Possibly a firmware upgrade.

I’m going to add a “fake resolution” changer to MATE Tweak. I have the same Pi monitor and issue :wink: