Raspberry pi dos games

I plan to get a raspberry pi not sure which yet. I want to play some dos games (old golf games) is easy it to installed and play. Is there a way if games run to fast to slow them down.

1 Like

Dosbox.

Games will run at the right speed in Dosbox, in my experience. However there are also all kinds of settings that can be adjusted in Dosbox if needed

2 Likes

Is that easy to installed and easy to use because my dad will be using it . which raspberry pi should I get?

At least a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 model. The newer ones will offer better performance, but I wouldn’t have thought DOS will be all that demanding, even though it is being emulated.

Once you’ve got the Pi set up with Ubuntu MATE and are at the desktop, use the Software section to pick a software centre, as DOSBOX is not featured in Ubuntu MATE’s Software Boutique.

In your chosen software centre, search for DOSBOX and it will install away.

The other (faster) way is via the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T):

sudo apt install dosbox

DOSBOX is pretty straight forward to use if you’re comfortable with the.DOS environment. You simply mount a directory from your actual file system as a virtual DOS drive, (like C:). From there you can run/install many DOS programs… even Windows 3.1. :wink:

Also,. welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

There is a pretty useful Java-based front-end for DOSBox: DBGL (DOSBox Game Launcher), which simplifies configuration a lot.
Not sure if it works properly on the Pi, but it’s definiely worth a look.

Thanks for the help, I plan to get a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B . That comes with transparent Case + Cooling Fan for Australia $66. If I have issue I know there is a great community.

2 Likes