Raspberry Pi Section

Hi,

I stumbled across Ubuntu MATE when looking for a Linux OS for a RPi2 and ended up using MATE on my laptop too as I thought it was so well made! Thanks to all those involved…

I wondered if I could make a request? Would it be possible to have a RPi section of the forum to collate all the posts on that topic for those just interested in installing MATE on a RPi?

Many thanks,
Rich.

1 Like

+1! It would be very helpful for separating discussions for different architectures, since the desktop may support packages not available on the Pi and vice versa.

Possibly to add a section for PowerPC too?

PS. Your request would be ideal in the Meta sub-category.
(You can change this by editing the first post)

I would suggest a new topic for the Raspberry Pi Section would be “GPIO Setup”.

I keep getting this error when I install the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip install RPi.GPIO

This error pops up when I issue the last command “sudo pip install RPi.GPIO”

error: command ‘arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc’ failed with exit status 1

Any suggestions?
Craig

Hi Craig,

Would this help? Stumbled across it in the Gen section:

I have been trying to do GPIO programming on Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi. It fails, and after much reading I have found the kernel needs to be compiled with CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM set to false. Would it be possible to make this the default for future kernels? Being able to add third party devices and build things using the GPIO pins is one of the big attractions for the Raspberry Pi.

Atb,
Rich

Rich,

Thanks, that is very helpful. It sounds like I need to wait until the next version of Ubuntu-Mate with CONFIG set to false. I guess I will go back to Raspian until they have the GPIO pins controllable.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Swanson

mailto:[email protected] [email protected]

(770)298-9156 mobile

Cumming, Georgia

It’s finally got its own section! Thanks guys, it helps keep Pi discussions identifiable.

This way for the Pi’s → General Discussion → Raspberry Pi 2

2 Likes