Re-installs always hate password

ISSUE:
Installed Ubuntu ver ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso and it runs fine except that the keyboard has foreign characters that are mixed in with regular.
i.e. the @ is now a " and the " is now and @ plus many others are different.
This was not the case with Win 8.

My system:
Samsung NP350E7C-A03CA
Windoze Stalkerware 10. (This was a upgrade from 8 to 10.) Installed Ubuntu after a full reformat.
64 Bit - 8 Gig RAM

Fluff:
rebooted and guess what, my password contains special characters. Now when I type password it isn't accepted, not even after I figured out which keys would replace those in password. For example, what character replaces tild (~) or exclamation (!) and @ and % and.... and so on.
My option is to re-install (again) and for pword, pick letters and numbers only, easy to crack. But I will need the normalized keyboard anyway.

Samsung doesn't explain how the keyboard works. FN key isn't for changing the @ to " or vice versa. Searching only brings out keyboards for sale, ltops for sale - I forgot the Internet was gobbled up by the Catalognet :angry:

Ideas?

TIA

~o~

A few.

Firstly can you identify your hardware kb layout by either of these 2 methods
http://kbd-intl.narod.ru/english/layouts
OR
menu -> Preferences -> keyboard -> click tab=layout click add symbol
pull down and choose another country
but first link is IMHO faster

Next, what is your current settings for locale? Terminal command
locale

and I see you say foreign....so I am guessing you prefer English

Next did you verify your iso was fully downloaded by checking its hash value?

1 Like

Thanks @aus9 for stepping in,

The link you provide does not have my layout.The "Finish" comes close, but 'close' only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

I have to -reinstall Ubuntu to get to any prompt because right now it just says "Please unlock disk sda3-crypt."

I'll be back :slight_smile:

Thanks again @ aus9

The image, now I forget which, helped me in lowdown the problem. I re-installed and have logged out and back in - very happy now :slight_smile:

Thank the stars here are people like you,
~0~

no problem

has a number of suggestions.
one is
xkbprint -color "${DISPLAY}" - | ps2pdf - > current_keyboard_layout.pdf

use a pdf viewer or web browser to view it and it should tell you what you are on.