Redshift Won't Work

Hi- I'm running version 22.04 and have sleep issues because of the blue light radiation if I use my computer before bedtime. I tried using Redshift in Terminal but the screen remains unchanged.

jim@jim-Latitude-E5530-non-vPro:~$ redshift
Trying location provider geoclue2'... Using provider geoclue2'.
Could not connect to wayland display, exiting.
Failed to start adjustment method wayland.
Trying next method...
Using method `randr'.
Waiting for initial location to become available...

I am not sure, but MATE does not use Wayland so that may be part of the issue. Isn’t the proper red shift available in the Software Boutique?

Hello linuxis4me

You may find this useful, it is the way I managed to make resshift work for me: :slightly_smiling_face:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=268623

Of course, you might not want to solve your problem this way.

I haven't used this but here it is:
setting RedShift from command line

The GUI of RedShift has very limited options, and you can not set the color temperature in a permanent way. However, Redshift also has some command line options: open in a terminal window: redshift -h to see the options.

Simply running the command:
redshift -O 3700
Will set your screen permanently to "night".
Neutral temperature is:
redshift -O 6500

What I do is put a text file called < redshift.conf > in hidden folder< .config > for each user, I use redshift day and night, so my temps will be different from yours. Also my location is different

[redshift]
temp-day=3500
temp-night=3500
transition=1
gamma=0.8
location-provider=manual
adjustment-method=randr

[manual]
lat=-44.5
lon=88.1

[randr]
screen=0
screen=1

Then when it appears in your panel enable auto-start. Don't do a start up option and enable auto-start, they will conflict and make redshift flash.

1 Like

I use Mate and have no problems using redshift, I installed redshift through Synaptic.

Thanks jymm, I also installed Redshift with Synaptic. Your command prompt set my screen to 'night' immediately.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I would edit the title of this thread to end with (solved) but there isn't an option to do so.

Its been a while since I posted a problem but I think there is a check mark at the bottom of your post you can check to mark your post as solved.