Remove Super+L shortcut for locking

It seems to me that the shortcut Super+L is hardcoded to lock the current session – I am trying to remove it.

I already marked “Lock Screen” as “Disabled” in the Keyboard Shortcuts options window. However, when I click the ‘power icon’ in the top right corner, the ‘Lock item’ still has the shortcut Super+L. Pressing Super+L actually does lock the computer.

Is there a way to remove this behavior?

Hi @kli6891, Are you running Compiz by chance? If so, it will take over some keystroke defaults in a compatible-but-redundant way. Under CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) item “Commands” it is configured as “command 0” by default. I use the “Key Bindngs” tab to disable command 0.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @Bill_MI, but I am not running Compiz.

I think this is a new feature introduced in 18.04. It was mentioned in the release notes.

I see there’s a gsettings entry

org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys screensaver '<Super>l'

You can remove that by entering this:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys screensaver ''

Does that fix it for you?

@elcste That doesn’t fix it for me – Super+L still triggers a lock.

Curiously, the command does remove the label ‘Super + L’ next to ‘Lock’ entry in the menu presented by the power icon at the top right.

I think I found it now:

org.mate.Marco.global-keybindings run-command-1 '<Mod4>l'

So run this to disable it:

gsettings set org.mate.Marco.global-keybindings run-command-1 ''

Your mentioning the release notes led me to look in the ubuntu-mate-settings repo, where I found the commit. It turns out that it uses the code <Mod4> instead of <Super>, so my previous gsettings grep didn’t find it.

Thanks a lot @elcste, that does it :slight_smile: ! There is a small typo in your command; instead of run-command=1 it should be

gsettings set org.mate.Marco.global-keybindings run-command-1 ''
1 Like