Removing "quiet" and "splash" from cmdline.txt does not show verbose boot process

I'm trying to understand how to get Mate on Pi to show the complete boot process.

The line in cmdline.txt is

net.ifnames=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=LABEL-writable rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait fixrtc quiet splash

I tried removing "quiet" and "splash" to get

net.ifnames=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=LABEL-writable rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait fixrtc

But get the same splash screen.

I also tried adding "verbose" to produce

net.ifnames=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=LABEL-writable rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait fixrtc verbose
And still get the splash screen.

Any idea what I am missing?

This is on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 for Raspberry Pi

On amd64 devices I usually use verbose INIT_VERBOSE=y noplymouth .
You can try the same on RPi.

I had the same problem, after making the same change as you with the same (non-)result, but eventually resolved it... but I don't remember HOW. :frowning:
Basically, all I can say is that yes, it's possible, but nothing more than that, sorry.

I have a vague feeling i just did a recursive grep for "splash" on the entire FS, and found one somewhere else in a file that the boot process was "secretly" actually using, rather than the cmdline.txt that you and I "incorrectly" thought it was. (I suspect it's another file that gets added to the cmdline.txt contents: the Pi boot process does stuff like that a lot).

I'll check my notes in case I wrote it down, but it wasn't until a few weeks after I'd finished setting everything else up that I finally tracked it down, so don't get your hopes up.