Replace Lightdm to MDM and rename to Desktop and Login Manager

All,

I am a recent convert from Mint Mate. One suggestion is to replace Lightdm to MDM. Seems to me to be more customisable. Also how do I go about changing Lightdm to MDM for Ubuntu Mate

Thanks

Alex

Sadly MDM is not as compatible and has issues handling the session environment. So I’ll be sticking with LightDM. In Ubuntu MATE you’ll find a tool to customise LightDM too :slight_smile:

Over a year has passed since the last post. The current Linux Mint MATE 18 uses MDM and I find it much easier to use than LightDM. Is there any chance you will look into these compatibility issues again? @Wimpy

In any case, why not rename LightDM GTK+ Greeter settings to Desktop and Login Manager (much more intuitive for a new user) and reserve more specific information (such as LightDM or MDM, etc.) for the hover popup info?

I have added "and rename to Desktop and Login Manager" to the title. @Alex_Kalliris

1 Like

Ubuntu MATE will not be switching to MDM. It has known security vulnerabilities and is not standards compliant.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s a pity that MDM cannot be used. I guess I have to get used to LightDM then.

Is this still a viable option?