Replacing Windows 10

I have an Asus eeebook with UEFI that runs Windows10.
Instead of a dual boot, is there a way to be rid of Windows 10 and replace it with Ubuntu Mate?
:smiley:

Yes, you get that option in the installer. But dual boot is better because you never know if you will need Windows. :wink:
The installer can shrink the Windows partition for you and install Ubuntu MATE on the free space.

I would Dual-boot to begin with so that you can check all the drivers work properly.

Hallo

I would not dual-boot. I’ve done it. It can go badly wrong further down the road. I prefer either a bare metal installation or running one OS in a virtual machine. That’s just my experience and opinion.
However, do check that your particular model has no known problems when using Linux such as wireless conectivity etc.
Also, if you do decide to destroy the W10 - can you adjust the Bios to “legacy” mode for booting? That would make the installation easier.

Good luck with going Linux :slight_smile:

I have a number of machine dual booting and even triple boot, It depends on what you really want are ready to give up Windows all together? If this is the case installing Ubuntu if fairly easy.

You can burn the ISO file to a USB or DVD choice is yours

After you boot your machine using the USB just boot in to the live desktop to see how thing work if everything run smoothly I would say your ready for your installation…Click install and when you see the option to use the entire disk choose this option if you just want Ubuntu on that machine just follow the instructions until your installation is complete

I have been in love with linux for just over a year now and I used Linux Lite as my main distro for approximately ten months on an older Toshiba laptop that formerly used Vista.
A few months ago, I replaced Linux Lite with Ubuntu Mate and it runs perfectly.
I have tried to get comfortable with Windows 10 on my Asus machine and it is does not measure up to most linux distros in terms of ease of use and customization, so I want to be rid of it. But the UEFI is quite the nuisance.

I multiple boot Windows 10 (don’t blame me, blame my employer ;)), Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1, Ubuntu Mate 16.10 and Arch Linux. I’ve had no issues with ‘dual booting’. I’ve put my computer in legacy mode (BIOS) just because it makes live easier.

@coreyman: check if your Asus has the legacy option or if it’s possible to disable UEFI. Then you will have to reinstall W10 or just take over the complete drive :wink:

I am dual booting my Ubuntu Mate with Windows 10. I always wanted to replace the windows with Linux and I did. :slight_smile: But I had to keep windows just for PC Gaming & playing Blu-rays. Even though I got my Assassins Creed stuff running on Mate, thanks to Wine & Play on Linux, it seems to find a player to watch Blu-rays. I know people say Vlc will do the job, but i tried and it only works with a few. For me only one.

So i would say it depends on your needs. Basically Ubuntu will cover everything, but I guess it’s safe to have dual boot just in case.

If you have not done the move yet know this:
I am running the Asus model x205T, It has been well documented on Debian about fixes and issues.
Debian X205T Issues

I Installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64Bit and for the most part it works very well for me.
My only problem is, there are no sound drivers for this model on linux.
In a sense its not an issue for me but if you care about sound then this will be something to think about.:confused:

Hello @coreyman

From what I understand you wish to get rid of the UEFI boot/Trusted Platform Module?

By experience, it’s always possible to revert back to legacy booting however this definately changes from one laptop to another even if it’s the same vendor.

At the end of the day, I would advise into contacting your vendor and asking them how to enable legacy BIOS mode (Or check in the official documentation) and then proceed with Linux installation.

Actually, before wiping it all away, I would also strongly advise you to boot using a LIVE distro and issuing a backup of your HD just in case your need to rollback to windoze 10 one day.

Using dd, such command would be something like:

$ dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/usbthumbdrive/backupimage.iso

After that you have confirmed the backupimage.iso was properly copied, wipe away!

Hope this helps,

most Drivers work on linux. i never had a time where drivers didnt work. which suprises me.

HI @coreyman,

whatever you decide to do, make sure you create a “Recovery Disk” (or USB stick) for your rig, if you erase Windows with no backup, you may well have to pay for a new disk set if you want Windows 10 again!. :thumbsup:

Did it come with Windows 10 or did you update it from W7 or 8?, do you have a recovery set?:

Keeping in-line with @wolfman

Given that your laptop did NOT came with w10 installed but you instead opted in for a free upgrade (while the offer lasted) then you can tentatively re-promote from w7/8 to w10 using the following link:

Cheers,

1 Like

@Coreyman

I definitely recommend installing Ubuntu Mate on a DVD or USB first to make sure your WiFi, sound and graphics card/printer works before installing Ubuntu over Windows 10.

One another note, Ubuntu Mate is an awesome Operating System, especially if your new to Linux.

If you need any help, don’t forget to check these forums for an answer or post your problem like you have just done. :smile: Good luck mate!

1 Like

Hello @pdhunter1987

Keep in mind that nowadays most (if not all) distros will support a LIVE feature which saves one the hassle of having to install, wait for it to be done and updated to use whatever flavor.

By booting live, not only do you save a lot of time, but all of your hardware is/should be detected as if you would be doing an on disk install.

Cheers,

3 Likes

@DLS and @pdhunter1987 Yes and No.
On the proposition to install to an USB (not DVD) I would add to UPDATE the system because it may fix or add missing drivers which may be not part of the ISO.
And for the Live system goes the same, it should be updated to test; the bad is that you will lose all the downloaded packages and installations and in the process you may run out of RAM.

In conclusion, if your system is supported by the Live system, go ahead with the installation. If it is not, try to install to a thumb or SD card and upgrade it.

3 Likes