Request additional screen radiation feature at night

I want screen radiation feature, to make it easy on the eyes for Ubuntu MATE next release :sunglasses:

Hi and welcome to the Ubuntu MATE community. :slight_smile:
You mean like Redshift? IIRC it was included on the 21.04 daily iso's but it had to be removed because of issues with it. So it won't be included in the release after all. Maybe the next one.

Hi. :laughing:

You can install Redshfit and set location to manual in config file because auto-location is not working correctly for me.

.config/redshift/redshift.conf 

Find longitude and latitude for your location and put in config.

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Redshift#Configuration

1 Like

That's a bummer for Redshift as my eyes would be burnt without it.
Started looking for alternatives and found sct (for Screen Color Temperature) in the repos.

sct 2800 will set the temperature to 2800k, sct will reset it to 6500k. That will do the trick for me until a solution is found.

1 Like

I hope the Redshift issue is removed in Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS and can be used. Or use alternative Redshift, just like Kubuntu's night radiation :heart_eyes:

redshift can be used in Ubuntu MATE 21.04, not redshift-gtk.
sudo apt install -y redshift
Use your usual Redshift config file located in ~/.config and run it once from the terminal with the redshift command.
It will work as usual, even after a reboot (don't create an entry in the startup applications).

2 Likes

Thanks for your inputs. After your post about SCT I fiddled about and now have a Bash script which I can double click on and will adjust the screen temperature according to the time of day.

And now you add that redshift will work from the command line.

There are usually choices with Ubuntu-MATE!

You're welcome.
I would burn my eyes without those utilities at night.
Happy that redshift still works as I like the way it gradually changes the color temperature.
You really just have to launch it once with your ~/.config/redshift.conf ready and it will just work like before.