Request: DockbarX MATE applet

It might seem dumb considering that I could just as easily use the dock applet, but it doesn’t work right with Compiz 0.8 in use and I have a feeling DockbarX would do it, but there’s no up-to-date applet for it.

Would anyone like to give it a crack?

have you tried plank?

it won’t fit into your panel, but it’s a pretty good dock.

Does it work as a MATE applet?

Its in our 16o4 software repositories so it at least has a ubuntu maintainer.
Currently not available in 16.10. It could also need gtk3 packaging.
Not a good candidate if it gets dropped.

I was looking at ppa’s and stumbled across this dockbarx package for 16o4.

https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/ubuntu/webupd8

I know. There hasn’t been a compiled build of dockbarx-mate since precise! And that was when MATE was using mate-conf!

no - it’s a separate dock app independent of MATE panel

You appear slightly misinformed kind sir. When GNOME and MATE relied on gconf and mate-conf respectively, users of dockbarx were able to integrate it into gnome-panel, mate-panel and even avant-window-navigator (before updates broke it).

Users can in present day and onward install DockbarX in systems using XFCE and add xfce4-dockbarx-plugin to much the same effect, using (I presume with what limited knowledge I have) xfconf in much the same way.

What you may be talking about is dockx, which doesn’t really work for me because its own applets are lacking, and I was seriously considering use of xfce4-panel until I discovered that xfce4-xfapplet-plugin isn’t a thing anymore because of MATE’s move to dconf.

Are there plans to make the Mate DockbarX plugin available again? I’d like to test it in place of Mate Dock Applet (which has its own issues) but the current version (0.92) from WebUpd8’s PPA doesn’t see to be compatible with Mate.