Restore specific files or folders?

I was surprised to find that UM 15.10 does not support restoring specific files or folders within Caja. I needed to install Files (Nautilus) to be able to do this.

Surely this is pretty a pretty basic operating system function? Any plans to make it available ‘out of the box’?

PS - have recently switched to a clean install of UM15.10, having used Mate desktop on Ubuntu 14.04LTS for a year or so. So far this is my only grizzle. Thanks for all the good work.

Restoring from where? You can restore files/directories from the trash folder for example.

Caja has a port of the daja-dup extension (“Restore files…”) extension from Nautilus. It’s in the package deja-dup-caja and is already installed by default.

For some reason, it’s not showing up in the Caja plug-ins. :confused:

Edit: Turns out there is a bug with Caja at the moment where only one Python extension is being registered. Upstream are working on fixing that.

For files/folders thrown in the Wastebasket and/or deleted permanently, then there is a way to “undelete” them:

Restoring from a backup previously made using the Ubuntu Mate Backup untility. I needed to access an earlier version of a data file.

Thanks, I was able to restore the file I needed using Nautilus, so my question was mainly about why I wasn’t able to do that in UM without having to install additional software. Your edit re the upstream bug tells me it is a known issue and being worked on, so that’s great. Thanks again.

2 Likes