Running Caja from terminal

I installed UM 16.04 on two PCs. One I have no issue running “sudo caja”, but the other I get the following notice:

Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Initializing caja-main-menu extension
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:50: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module.  Because Gtk 2.0 was not designed for use with introspection some of the interfaces and API will fail.  As such this is not supported by the pygobject development team and we encourage you to port your app to Gtk 3 or greater. PyGTK is the recomended python module to use with Gtk 2.0
  warnings.warn(warn_msg, RuntimeWarning)
sys:1: PyGIWarning: Caja was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Caja', '2.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d170f5180' has no handler with id '15728'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d17522500' has no handler with id '15805'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d16ef9480' has no handler with id '15812'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d17654960' has no handler with id '15777'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d173e3ee0' has no handler with id '15784'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d174ce680' has no handler with id '15791'
sys:1: Warning: /build/glib2.0-7IO_Yw/glib2.0-2.48.1/./gobject/gsignal.c:2635: instance '0x563d1752a560' has no handler with id '15798'
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 69 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 70 was not found when attempting to remove it
sys:1: Warning: Source ID 71 was not found when attempting to remove it

Not sure why I get this on one PC and not the other. Any solution?

You should be using gksudo. Just using sudo to pull up a GUI is not recommended.

3 Likes

I will go forward using gksudo. However, I still get the same message. Besides the message, all works fine. I am still curious why I get this message on one PC and not the other. Is there a Caja package that does not get installed during the initial build?

I generally use both gksudo and sudo and I get all kinds of weird “error” messages when I load root Caja from the terminal.

I usually ignore them and nothing bad has happened…yet…:slight_smile:

When I use caja and need to have administrator privilege I “right click” on the folder which provides the option

Open as Administrator

This option is presented for both files and folders

1 Like

yep, I forgot to mention that P.

1 Like

I use gksu caja. Could be worth a try.

To run Caja as administrator from CLI:
gksudo caja

And also, you can check if the tool that manages gksudo with caja is installed like this (it should be installed by default):
sudo apt list caja-gksu |grep installed ||echo NOT INSTALLED

I always get those errors too.

Alternatively, you create a short-cut that executes the command gksudo caja.

Calling gksu doesn’t mean it will be run, most probably it will run gksudo as the decision lies on an underlying library and not the gksu command.

Just for the record, gee, I see this message on everything I tried. Or very similar. It occurs when closing the Caja instance.

For that reason, I wonder why that one box does NOT get it. It looks like something with python versions if you want to check something.

And I guess people are keyed on gksudo now, after using gksu for years. Turns out gksudo is just a link to gksu (don’t take my word for it, take a look!). Also, notice when you DO use sudo for caja it detects it because of an extension named Gksu. It’s in the original post, in fact.

Just my 2 cents. :grinning:

1 Like