Running WINE in mate

Having read and read [obviously the wrong things - at least 6 months worth,] can anyone help with running WINE in Mate. [under games in boutique. ]

When you install Wine from the Software Boutique, it doesn’t add any desktop launchers, since it is pretty much in itself is a compatibility layer.

You can run your Windows programs in a few ways:

• Right click on an EXE in the file manager and choose “Run in Wine Compatibility Layer”
  • Open a terminal and run wine explorer, which will open a Windows Explorer sort of shell to navigate the “pretend” C drive and main file system (Z drive). Your home folder will be in Z:\home\

If it helps, install PlayOnLinux which is a front-end for managing Wine applications and “prefixes”. This takes care of compatibility fixes and desktop shortcuts.

When Wine has ran for the first time, it creates a “prefix” (like a pretend Windows drive in a hidden folder: ~/.wine/, if you wanted to see the files.

1 Like

Hallo xaire

Does Wine make your GNU/Linux system less secure?

You may find the following interesting:
( https://askubuntu.com/questions/562388/do-wine-viruses-only-work-while-wine-is-running)

It mentions, amongst other things, that “Playonlinux” may be a more secure option.

I’ve no experience of using either.

How do I remove WINE entirely without reinstalling? (sigh!) I was unaware
of the virus threat so thanks for the alert.
Ray

Hallo xaire

This post seems to cover this topic - please read all the way to the end.

Remember to reboot. :slight_smile: