RX Vega 64 Ubuntu Mate 16.04

Hi friends.
I am one of those lucky /stupid ones who managed to purchase RX Vega 64 for inflated price. All because of AMD promises of love for open source.
One think I did not expect that I will be running my monitor with maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 .
I have installed latest amdgpu-pro drivers, but it did not help.
I have even upgraded Kernel to latest stable 4.12.10 and even to 4.13 rc7 and still I cannot use resolution higher then 1024 x 768 … really I cannot use computer.
Can someone please point me to instruction how to fix this?
I am embarrassed to go on Monday to work , and after building everyone on Vega and AMD to everyone for months, to tell them this.

1 Like

The only solution that comes to my mind would be to live with the resolution, but to change the settings on the size of the various elements in the OS.

So, for example, reduce the panel sizes, icons sizes, font size etc. Also, reduce the default display size for web pages and office documents etc.

The above “fix” would not be perfect by any measure. Where its shortcomings would be most evident is when system dialogs came on screen because they are not adjustable in terms of size.

But, it might make the OS at least somewhat tolerable to use with that resolution.

Btw. does 3D acceleration even work? That the resolution maxes out at 1024x768 somehow smells like the correct drivers aren’t even being used.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hadn’t considered that Maxiumuscore. It does sound like it might not be using hardware acceleration. I suppose one way to test that out would be to activate Compiz or Compton and seeing if the compositing effects are working properly. So, for example, if transparency is applied to Tilda, but all it is giving is false transparency, where it shows the desktop though the Tilda window, but cannot show any other windows that are on the desktop but underneath the Tilda window. This is often an indicator that compositing is not working properly. Which can, in turn, be an indicator that hardware acceleration is not functioning

Checking the output of glxinfo could also help, or just try running a 3D game or benchmark like those from Unigine.

No, 3D acceleration does not work. Steam does not start . It give me message “Open GLX extension not supported by display”.
I did not expect that it will work out of box, because it is expected in Kernel 4.14 or 4.15 but I was newer dreamed that I will not be able to get working by installing drivers myself.
800$+ for card not greatest experience… for that money I could have 1080ti , but I really want to support manufacturers who respect open-source .

1 Like

And driver is latest of AMD website , for Ubuntu 16.04.3

I have used this guides:
http://tutorialforlinux.com/2017/08/17/how-to-install-radeon-rx-vega-ubuntu-16-04-driver/

and

http://tutorialforlinux.com/2017/08/17/how-to-install-radeon-rx-vega-linux-mint-18-driver-easy-guide/

Thank you all and thanks to Michael Larabel from phoronix.com - Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarks & Linux Performance - Phoronix for providing Kernel build. It fixed my problem ( I have now full resolution , but no 3d acceleration) , and I can now wait for 4.15 to get card fully utilized.
You are the best.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-DC-9Aug-Kernel-Spin

2 Likes

Just update that I have got on AMD forum. I did not managed to fix it that way, since for some reason I am unable to guess my HDMI name , but it maybe help someone else.

Re: RX Vega Ubuntu 16.04
hotrith
hotrith 02 Sep 2017 7:36 PM (in response to ba’alzamon)

Hello there,

1º Reinstall the amdgpu-pro.

(make sure that no error pop-up)

2º Open Terminal and type $ xrandr

(it will show your capable resolutions, refresh rate and output)

3º Go to settings/resolutions in control panel and change the resolution for other resolution like 800x600.

(this is for creating a file called “monitors.xml” in …/.config/…)

4º In the Terminal type $ sudo xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode XXXXxXXXX --rate XX

(on output, make sure that you know what it is, it can be HDMI-A-1, or DVI1, or whatever…)

(on XXX type your values)

(if is done right the screen will flash and you will see what you want)

5º Go to “Home” press Ctrl+h to show hidden folders, go to “.config” and find the file “monitors.xml” and open with gedit.

6º In the line “60” change for your monitor refresh rate and save.

7º reboot the system and done, it should be running fine and smooth.

Regards.

1 Like

If you want to spend a little more money for the convenience of adding another PCI component, EK Water Blocks makes a “Universal” block for RXV56 AC, RXV64 AC and VFE AC. If you have a a liquid-cooled card then no need for that, but there is sound rationale if you need all of your PCIe ports to buy any air-cooled Vega and slap EK’s block on it if you already have or had considered and are committing to an open water loop.

Mind if you went with EK’s Fluid Gaming components those are all aluminium so unless EK also makes an A-variant monoblock for Vega you’re kinda hosed unless you throw all of your money into nickle or copper components.

Hi Tiox,
Great suggestion ,
At the moment I will be happy to get 3d acceleration working , and, to tell you truth I am little bit scared/ old fashioned to mix water and electricity.

When I type xrandr, I see the following output:
VGA-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) DVI-D-0 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm 1920x1200 59.95*+ 1920x1080 60.00 1680x1050 59.95 1600x1200 60.00 1440x900 59.89 1280x1024 60.02 1280x960 60.00 1024x768 60.00 800x600 60.32 56.25 640x480 59.94 HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
So in my case the names of the outputs are HDMI-0, DVI-D-0, and VGA-0 with the monitor attached to DVI-D-0.

I get:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*

When i write:
sudo xrandr --output default --mode 1920x1200 --rate 60

I get message:

xrandr: cannot find mode 1920x1200

I suspect the xrandr tweak only works if the correct driver is already loaded, which is not the case on your system.

Stuff about watercooling which is completely off-topic and hidden for convenience.Watercooling can be a bit complicated; Even though there are dedicated markets' for the hardware, water cooling i still fraught with hazards that can trip people up. The est thing to do when just starting out is to use flexible tubing for experimentation outside of your PC, then bolt everything onto your motherboard when you know your combination of components won't leak.

If you set up your runs first, and continue to use flexible tubing you can keep your configuration and have room to move thins around. Doing it inside of an entirely opaque chassis will mean you don’t need to do anything fancy in order to cool your system; just add water and your corrosion inhibitor / biocide. However, a UV-reactive additive will also help you spot leaks that are hard to see with a blacklight since it will make the water glow, which will make cleaning up easier since you can see the water easily inside your PC when you open for inspection.

Hand-tightened seals and some RTV if you’re truly paranoid will make for sufficient seals but you should still test for a long, good while to make sure. The reason I mentioned EK’s block giving you an extra slot is because removal of the air cooler for a water block with an external pump (rather than internal with a reservoir in a closed loop) brings the height of the card overall down to a single slot, which EK provides an aftermarket bracket in their conversion kit. Plus their provided documentation is always top-notch.

I don’t use AMD/ATI personally, it’s been a few years since I have. but I’ve been trying to keep track of the open source development and the most current mesa drivers seems to have a lot of attention from AMD and game devs like Valve and Feral Interactive.

I’d give them a test run, there is a ppa for mesa if you need it found here: ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

I’ve seen gaming benchmarks with these drivers on AMD cards and they seem quite nice. almost makes me want to go with AMD.

(i’ve had a number of bad experiences in the past with ATI/AMD, it’s going to take awhile before I’m convinced)