Samba Client Works, but can't configure Samba Server

I’ve Ubuntu-MATE 15.10 that I’ve upgraded successfully to 16.04. Everything works a treat and could I connect to samba servers out of the box (I never did this while it was running 15.10).

Wanting to serve up my home folder I installed the samba server and admin packages, but when I go System->Administration->Samba the sudo dialog box pops up, I type my password, the box closes, and then nothing happens :frowning:

Short of manually editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file anyone know what I’m missing? I’ve done this in the past so its not a show-stopper, just a time waster I’d rather avoid diving into as a lot has changed since the last time I did it.

Try sudo apt install caja-share

You’ll need to restart caja (caja -q) the right click on a folder and select “sharing options”

1 Like

Have you checked the Control Centre?:

You must have installed something else as it's not installed on my system.

Try adding this package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras

2 Likes

If you installed system-config-samba and can’t get it to open start a terminal and type sudo pluma /etc/libuser.conf don’t add anything to the file just save and close it samba config then worked for me.Samba will then show up in the control panel under administration.

1 Like

This package was not but installed after installing it neither the System->Administration->Samba nor the Samba icon in ControlCenter-Administration.

It may have made the "Personal File Sharing appear, but that is not what I want – what defines a “public file”? I thought editing smb.conf is what determines this

I’ll try some of the other suggestions and get back yeah or nay.

Bingo!

The opened file was empty. Maybe sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf would have worked as well, if it was just the file was missing from /etc directory.

How’d this fall through the crack?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi @straycat_tim,

I didn’t do any of the above and Personal File Sharing is showing in my Control Centre?. Nice that there is a solution though!. :smiley:

Personal File Sharing was in my Control Center, not sure if the extras package installed it, or it was there all the time, but it was not what I wanted.

I needed to create multiple shares, not just share what is automatically deemed “public”. Its working great now.

1 Like