Scaling Options for Ubuntu Mate?

Hey everyone!

I have decided that I like Ubuntu Mate enough for it to be my main OS, but I still have one issue that's really bothering me.

My laptop has a native resolution of 3200 x 1800 and as you can see by the screenshot, everything looks extremely small.

I have not figured out a way to scale everything so that it is usable using my native resolution. Is there anyone that knows a way I can do this?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Please see here:

and here:

At the moment, so far as I am aware, there is no global scaling option. However, by a combination of altering various system font sizes, panel sizes, icon sizes etc, it is possible to resolve the issues you mention. I have done this on my own machine so can confirm this.

If you need any further advice on anything specific, please let me know on here and I will do my best to help.

Thanks for the response. Those fixes don't quite work the way I want. Chrome is still painfully small even with the content set to "very large" and the zoom set to 150% - this also does not change the way the the task bar itself looks.

Adjusting the system font sizes helps a little, but if made too large they begin to look awkward and out of place/don't fit in the windows. Windows and icons stay very small.

I guess I'll just have to lower the screen resolution which is a shame because I paid a lot of money for this laptop :frowning:

Hopefully the developers will add a universal scaling option at some point kind of like Ubuntu has (see picture below).

I'll just have to remain patient in the mean time!

1 Like

Changing the display resolution to something higher than 96 DPI doesn't fix everything?

System ! Preferences ! Look and Feel ! Appearance ! Fonts (tab)

No, that simply scales the fonts, but everything else remains the same.

It used to work:) 20 years ago. Some icons enlarged correctly, some stayed tiny. Bizarre!

I was looking for a way to do this and came across this post. I have a multi-step setup that scales the fonts, the icon sizes, and the pointer size. I also document setting the greeter so that even it is larger. It’s not perfect, but it is much better. http://goinglinux.com/articles/HiDPIonLinux_en.htm

Eventually I’m sure we will have a better solution, but for now, this is working for me.

I have the same problem. I decided to use 1080 screen resolution and scale Firefox windows to 170% and scale the mouse to large. I think my eyes can not see the difference in higher resolution (I am 52). But, I read somewhere that Ubuntu Mate will fix this problem in 17.10 or 18.04… For me, Ubuntu Mate is the best distro I have used so it is wort waiting for a fix :smile:

Laffen :slight_smile:

Edit: Old post and late answer :blush:

For people who changed font DPI, but ended up with inconsistent scaling of icons. I stumbled upon a potential fix.

I am running Ubuntu 17.04 with Mate Desktop.

mate-tweaks -> Panel -> (click) Save Panel Layout

Looked into its source code a little bit, but haven’t figured out what cause the fix.

As far as I can tell, when one clicks Save Panel Layout, it kills your panel, read your panel configurations and saves them somewhere, then it write the configuration back and restart your panel with '‘mate-panel --replace’.