Screen appears zoomed in

Hi there, new to Mate… I just installed 15.10 and so far it’s great. I’m running an ultra wide monitor (21X9) with a resolution of 2560X1080. I was previously running Kubuntu (14.x) and had no issues. For some reason under Mate, everything appears as if it is zoomed in slightly (things are seemingly larger). I checked the resolution, and it is set as it should be (2560X1080)… Is there some setting I am missing?

If you are referring to icons, you can open caja and go to the menu and select edit/preferences. In there, you can set the default zoom for icons. This will then affect the size of icons system wide. Similarly, you can set the default size for files in compact view. there are other settings in there as well.

As for the panels, if you right click one and select “properties”, you can change the width of the panels. This will cause the size of the icons on the panel to automatically adjust themselves.

It sounds like the DPI of your screen is too large, meaning everything will appear larger than it should on a desktop (something could be mistaking it for as a tablet screen with a high resolution)

Sadly, I can’t find any “screen scale”, “density”, “scale” or DPI setting in Ubuntu MATE (in regular Ubuntu, this would be under the Monitor Properties), but this could be a pointer of the issue.

The screenshots on this other thread should also visualize if it’s a scale issue: