Screen dim and bright on mouse move in 22.04LTS

Hi All,
I'm new to the community, but have been using Ubuntu MATE since it started. I'm currently running the OS on 2 Laptops, both of which are HP Elitebook 8440p and a Homebrew Dual server, one is an i7 3770 and the other is an i3 3240, both of these run Plex also.
My issue is with the HP Elitebook 8440p Laptops, as once I've installed 22.04LTS, I came across a very annoying screen issue, no tearing or blank screens, but each time I move the mouse, the screen goes dim and then a few seconds later after stopping moving the mouse, the screen dims.
Has anyone else had this issue? I had Kernel 6 HWE installed, but on 5.15 the issue isn't there. Does 22.04LTS run the Wayland system or is it still X11? I'm trying to nail this issue down and hopefully get a fix for it.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a cure I'd be very happy, also apollogies just in case I've put this thread in the wrong section.....

Dave

1 Like

runs x11, but I don't think that is your issue, maybe a graphics driver bug, but I really don't know

1 Like

I'd first look at the graphics driver and @Bernie suggests. The only time I've had something similar happen is when I had my Dell laptop connected to an external monitor. It turns out the USBC cable had worked its way loose.

1 Like

Welcome @MW0DCM-Dave to the community!

1 Like

Many thanks @Bombilla
@@Bernie I'll give it another shot, but I'm certain the MESA Intel HD driver was installed as it is on Ubuntu MATE 20.04.6LTS with the HWE running.

Dave

1 Like

Hi @MW0DCM-Dave ,

I'd try

• to change mouse connection port
  • to change mouse itself
  • to switch from mouse (which one?) to touchpad or to another kind of mouse. I.e. to usb, or bluetooth, etc.

Hopefully, that could help to find out something meaningful.

Good luck!

2 Likes

All in all, that looks like a mouse-related power settings glitch.
:man_shrugging: Just an idea.

1 Like

It's definitely not mouse related, I've tried switching from the Touchpad on the HP Elitebook 8440p to a USB one, but sadly the issue still persists, and I've tried something new, I upgraded the Kernel on 20.04 to 5.19 and the issue is there in 5.19 and above.
The fix I've since found, which is very strange, increasing the refresh rate to 120Hz which is something I didn't expect the laptop to achieve.
I've since gone back to the tried and trusted 5.15 HWE Kernel and I lose both the dimming issue and the fact I've lost the 120Hz choice in Displays, it's 60Hz it 24Hz
Both laptops use the 530m and 520m intel I5 CPU's which are still pretty quick for what I use them for

So, is it a Kernel issue or Intel HD problem?

Dave

2 Likes

Glad you've solved your problem!

I'm afraid that the problem's root cause will remain a mystery. Definitely, the problem is in an interaction between OS and hardware components.

By the way, I'm quite aware that having said that I've actually said nothing :frowning: !

Gene

1 Like

A curious link:

2 Likes

Many thanks for that link, but sadly nothing in my HP bios that anything to do with the same as the Dell.
I've already started looking for a newer laptop, it'll be a shame, but if it's an issue between MESA, Intel or the Kernel with older hardware, it's time to put them out to pasture ..

Dave