Screen Freezes after wake up from Suspend Mode

When came back I could'nt interact with keyboard only with my mouse but none of the home screen icons or menus was responding to my clicks, the 2 times I set suspend mode I had to force reset.

Power-saving modes :sleeping: are usually well supported under newer versions of Linux systems and newer underlying hardware :new: . Even so, power saving modes can still be tricky to use properly :thinking: under some circumstances.

However, most power management problems are very hardware- and operating-system-specific. :battery: :cd: As such, we need to know:

• If you're using Ubuntu MATE or not: Some people (erroneously) post in this forum about generic Ubuntu, Debian or even Linux Mint (!) problems. I'm going to guess that you're on Ubuntu MATE, since you came here to ask a question about Ubuntu MATE icon problems before. But I never know for sure.

• The release version of the distribution: The command lsb_release -d can tell you this. I'm guessing you have some minor version of Ubuntu MATE 20.04.

• The exact kernel version: Chances are you're using a standard kernel, but I don't want to take any chances here. Find this out using the command: uname -a.

• The motherboard manufacturer and model number: This is probably the most important piece of information. The CPU manufacturer and model number is not sufficient; I must know the motherboard manufacturer and model number, because usually power management capabilities are integrated on the motherboard and not the CPU.

Find that information out, and then please reply with your findings. :mag:

1 Like
  1. The release version of the distribution: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

2. The exact kernel version: 5.8.0-63-generic #71~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15 17:46:08 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

3. The motherboard manufacturer and model number: colorful ab350m-k pro v14

I looked up the AB350M, and it appears to have ports for legacy PS/2 keyboard and mouse peripherals.

Some newer motherboards are made with slightly non-conformant implementations of the PS/2 protocol for price reasons (seriously!). Is your keyboard plugged into a PS/2 port? Is your mouse plugged into a PS/2 port? Try plugging in USB-connected devices (if your peripherals are not already USB-connected).

Whether or not your keyboard and mouse use the PS/2 ports, try unplugging them, waiting 5 seconds, and plugging them back in; sometimes the devices start responding again when "reset" like that.

You can also try pressing the key combination Alt-SysRq-R; this resets the keyboard using an alternative method. Even though the keyboard is frozen up, in my experience the keyboard rarely completely freezes up.

Finally, this article on Ask Ubuntu, while somewhat dated, has been said to have worked for some subsequent users. Some users have also claimed that the command sudo apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-input-all, followed by a reboot, works as well or in combination with the previous workaround.

I hope one of these works for you -- please keep me posted.

1 Like