Screen tearing with GT 630

Hello everyone

I keep experiencing screen tearing with my GT 630 card, here is what i tried so far :

• Use Nouveau and proprietary drivers.
  • Enable VBlank syncing in Nvidia settings
  • Enable Compiz WM
  • I cannot find any xorg.conf file so all those solutions won’t work

Any idea? So far everything that I’ve seen doesn’t work. It also appears that this problem is unsolvable due to the Kepler (i think) architecture, but I really want to keep hoping for the best :c

If you don’t have an xorg.conf file, you can do this instead:create a script containing
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DVI-D-0: 1920x1200 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }"
and add it to the startup applications (you may need to replace DVI-D-0 with the proper output your monitor is connected to - list available options with nvidia-settings -q dpys).

1 Like

I have multiple monitors, so this breaks the configuration, any idea on how to prevent that from happening? :frowning:

maybe the solution in this thread works for you

I also found this about TripleBuffer

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2280334&p=13297113#post13297113

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2235382&p=13079406#post13079406

So I generated an xorg.conf file (using a feature in the settings application provided by Nvidia), and unfortunately the ForceCompositionPipeline does not work at all and the tearing is even worse.

I tried the TripleBuffer option, and it seems to work, except that it is synced… to the wrong screen. Heh.

What happens if you disable all composition? Just in case you did not try it already.

Disabling composition does not fix the problem, it keeps being there. I suspect that there is a problem with the refresh rate, since it’s now one stable “line of tearing” that slowly goes down on the entire screen. This problem does not happen if i test it on the other (secondary) screen, so I think the problem comes from here. I have no idea how to specify which screen the synchronization should be done on, the option from nvidia-settings-manager does not work at all

VBlank?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance#Problem:_Sync_to_VBlank

I am using VBlank (or VSync, whatever it is called), but there is a problem with the syncrhonization : the synchronization is done with the wrong screen

I’m out of ideas

Last suggestion I have is to look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

For any clues.

Well one idea would be to unplug the secondary screen but that’s not really convenient…

I guess a GC chaange is in order then :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw. did you try Compton instead of compiz? (see also Compton VSync guide)

1 Like

Yes, the problem is still there when using Compton

I used the Marco+Compton option at work with two identical Asus monitors connected to a GT 430 and it worked fine without any tearing whatsoever. Maybe it only happens with different monitor models, but there has to be a solution for that, too…

The 2 monitors are radically different. They have different brands (one ASUS one HP), different resolutions (one 1920x1080 the other 16??x1???, can’t remember exactly), and different framerates (one is 60 Hz, the other is 59.999 Hz, that might seem like a ridiculous difference but it still counts)

Hi,

try dropping down the nvidia driver package to version 304?:

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-xxx (where “x” is the driver version number!)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

Looks like a recent update of the nvidia driver fixed my problem!

2 Likes

Good for you :smiley: , please mark the thread as solved so it helps others, put a tick in the best answer box!. :thumbsup:

Newbie question, where can I mark the thread as solved?