Updated - Security, Lost work - Unable to unlock session after being unable to exit from screensaver

ok, so I Think they are set to good. How do I toggle them to bad?

You can use the cursorkeys to select the thing that you want to change.

And look at the bottom line of your uploaded picture:

<Enter> Toggle tunable

That means: if you press the [enter] key , you will change the value of the thing that you selected that you decided to change.

Shouldn't be too hard I think :wink:

b.t.w.: if you toggle a tunable, the commandline instruction that invokes it
is printed in the top left corner of the application.
( You can use that later in /etc/rc.local if you want to make the change permanent.)

thanks for the help @tkn

I disabled (bad) all USB devices, set the screensaver to lock when activated. We will see what happens

After toggling all USB devices to Bad - after 2 days the screensaver was unable to be unlocked. I can still click the buttons, but I can't type a message either on Leave Message or in the password box. Any further ideas? I'm open to trying anything (that won't break my system, lol)

Yes, it could be that the screensaver itself is the culprit.

This is the best thing you can do at the moment:
You could remote login from another computer and kill the screensaver from there and see if it solves the problem.

If, for whatever reason, you can't remote login, there is another way which is a bit more work:

I used to have a script to restart the screensaver upon crash or freeze when I was running UM 20.04
Since UM 22.04 I don't have any issues anymore (so I don't need it anymore).
Read this carefully (including the links):

1 Like

where is the log so I can see if this is a screensaver crash? Is that link to create a script to restart the screensaver? How do I create/save such a script?

while I am working on this issue, I have installed xscreensaver as I still need to lock my system when I am not around. I don't like it because the screen will not completely blank (backlight stays on or chosen screensaver always runs w/o turning off the screen), even though my Power management is set to turn off the screen on inactivity. Any ideas on how to get the Power Management settings to work in conjunction with xscreensaver? Wow, something so simple is so hard! I have to say that this unlocking problem never existed in Ubuntu. It is my only complaint with Ubuntu MATE.

logfile="$HOME/screensavercrash.log"

No, I have no idea how powermanagement settings work in conjunction with xscreensaver. I haven't run xscreensaver for at least 10 years.

How do I create/save such a script?

The script in question: Just copy and paste into a terminal and press enter.
The script will automatically be saved in $HOME/bin and made executable.

Afterwards, you only have to manually add it in startup applications like in the explanation (with screenshot :wink: )

ok thx for everything,, I will try it.

I ran the script and added the startup part. Do I have to activate it or is it running now? Like do I have to reboot?

I have rebooted, will see if it works as it did not after first return from screensaver before the reboot. I also have uninstalled the xscreensaver (too tacky, LOL)

Thanks for looking into this issue for me. Unfortunately this morning I was unable to type the password to exit screensaver. So it appears its not the screensaver nor the keyboard.

Can I leave those last mods in the system for crashing screensaver? Can I just disable the running of the scripts from startup? Or leave them all as is?

New information - issue happens also when I choose the lock option from the power menu in the top right corner of the indicator panel

I am completely at a loss.
The only thing I can think of is ACPI either the kernelpart or the BIOS part.
But unfortunately that is outside my zone of expertise. :pensive:

Interestingly, I had no issues with regular Ubuntu nor after installing MATE DE on Ubuntu, started after fresh install of Ubuntu MATE. But I think it was still using gnome-screensaver and not mate-screensaver which is being used now

thanks for all your help

1 Like