Separate header bar from title bar

Hi, I'm hoping to get GNOME apps currently displayed thusly:

... back to looking like this:

... if it's at all possible, that is?

2 Likes

It’s up to the app, and my understanding is that the version in your second image was due to an Ubuntu patch. It’s a lot of work to keep updating the patches as the applications change, so Ubuntu has dropped a lot of those patches already. Now that Ubuntu’s default desktop is switching to GNOME, I believe they are dropping the rest of them. I think at this point you’d have to modify the source of the application(s) and recompile them yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I always wanted to learn to code and look forward to seeing if it’s possible. Not that I don’t appreciate the hard work put in by all the MATE devs, it’s just a personal preference.

Someone can fork the application, remove the header bar code and implement menu bar + toolbar. It would look even better than the last screenshot, i will mess with it later…

MATE’s future at this point is to probably transition into GNOME CSD windows for consistency, with the continued emphasis of extensive customization so people can use whatever desktop, panel and dock they wish; Being a mixture of GNOME-shell with the “Feel” of GNOME 2.

I don’t think so. CSD is a GNOME thing only e.g GTK automatically disables it for About and File Chooser dialogs outside its DE, also, many users including me despises that model for varied reasons. :slight_smile:

If you really like CSD with a traditional interface, (IMHO unfortunately) Xfce 4.14 is going to implement it in some apps.

We can’t control what projects outside of MATE do. The best we can do is make sure we interoperate with CSD applications. We put some considerable effort into that during 17.04.

We also won’t continue to be able to choose default applications that do not use CSD. As Ubuntu is now going with GNOME I expect more applications outside of MATE to adopt them.

1 Like

That sounds reasonable, I only hope the MATE applications do not use CSD in the future :sweat: