Shockwave Flash vulnerable or not?

I have two Ubuntu Mate machines. One runs 15.04 and the other 16.04. I have updated both using apt-get. On the 15.04 machine Firefox 44.0 tells me that Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 is vulnerable and should be updated. The 16.04 machine running Firefox 47.0 and the same version of Shockwave Flash does NOT give me this warning.

I really do not want to update the 15.04 out of sync with the Ubuntu repositories. Can anyone point me to a success path?

TIA,

Ken

I’m pretty certain that a direct answer to Can anyone point me to a success path? will involve upgrading 15.04 to a supported release.
issue this command to verify the support status ubuntu-support-status

If you have valid reasons not to bring the 15.04 machine into support status now … here’s a quote from Adobe

Adobe recommends users of Adobe Flash Player for Linux update to Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.626 by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.

As soon as feasible I strongly suggest bringing the out of date machine current!

I echo @pfeiffep that your computer running 15.04 is outdated and needs upgrading to a supported release as soon as possible. Support (including security updates) ended for 15.04 (Vivid) in February 4, 2016.

To bring it up-to-date, it’ll need to be updated from 15.04 → 15.10 → 16.04.

• Support for 15.10 ends July 2016.
  • 16.04 is a LTS (Long Term Release) … so it’s won’t be until 2019 when support ends.

Opening Software Updater will display a notification that an upgrade is available, otherwise it can be ran by the terminal:

sudo do-release-upgrade

This needs to be repeated again when you reboot into 15.10.

1 Like

Thanks folks. I did not realize that non-LTS releases had moved to such a short support period. The 15.04 is just a left over virtual machine which I occasionally use for testing. I guess it is time to blow it away and build one with 16.04 LTS. I am spoiled running CentOS as my “real” OS. The upstream vendor measures their support life in decades!

Ken

2 Likes

Hi Ken,

see also:

1 Like