Slow printing in 22.04

I have two networked printers (static IP) which have remained the same on 12.04 and 18.04. I have upgraded to 22.04 on one machine, and now printing from this one host is incredibly slower, with 15-20 seconds elapsing between pages. Other hosts (still on 18.04) print the same document one page right after another.

I've been mulling this over for some months--because it is only a problem when printing longer documents--but then it is really a problem. Watching the network traffic, the holdup seems to be in some processing done on my machine as each page is sent to the printer.

These are both full Postscript printers (Lexmark) printing on socket://:9100. The problem is identical using ipp or any other printer protocol.

Sending a pdf straight to the printer with lpr -l is an option, but not very user-friendly because a pdf has to be generated first, then send to printer with command line options.

Has something changed in the way Ghostscript handles print jobs? This used to be instant, with page after page coming out of printer. Now it is always 15-20 seconds between pages.

Any suggestions even on how to troubleshoot to time where it is getting bogged down would be most appreciated.

I have had recent problems with my HP printer. The oddity is that I can print if I use the installation ISO but it fails with my machines that have 22.04 updated. I can do this with the 22.04.1 ISO and the 22.04.2 ISO. Ventoy is very useful in these situations.

When I have time I plan to install but not update the installation either during or after the installation and see if I can print.

My suggestion is to see if your symptoms continue if you use the ISO image. I don't know what that would mean, but it would be data.

Best of luck.

It's likely that, when upgrading Ubuntu, you are now using a different driver. Maybe you have to manually install the driver that you used before. It's clear that an old driver will not work with recent Ubuntu. The extra time is probably spent in translating the postscript to printer language.

There is no translation. These are native Postscript printers. The only file is the PPD file.