So, how's it going with APFS support or installation on SSD of Apple products using T2 chip?

Any progress on this? Would be happy to hear that. (Macbook Pro 2018)

Please see -

and also this -

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=APFS-Development-For-Linux

It is highly unlikely that MATE devs would be working on something like this. I would suggest posting your question elsewhere.

Good luck cheech790.

1 Like

Thank you very much, let's hope the open-source read-only get's developed soon. BTW, I've seen the mentioned "closed-source" apfs driver on github, it's now also open source. Maybe it helps since this seems to go completely unnoticed so far. https://github.com/Paragon-Software-Group/paragon_apfs_sdk_ce

So, just to be sure, on the current state I can only hope to maybe read APFS on macOS, but can't install it on the internal SSD, right?

Got no idea. "Hope" is the operative term here.

Edit: See this about support for T2 chip -

And also this for a possible work around -

1 Like

I had a Macbook Pro when I was at my last job. I think it was a Late 2017 model. I was doing some experimenting and installed Ubuntu MATE to an external drive.

While I needed to compile drivers to make the keyboard/trackpad work, it could see the SSD (NVMe). I used Startup Security Utility to relax the security settings via Apple's Recovery (Command+R) first.

I would suggest testing a live USB on the hardware (using the latest kernel possible - like 19.04 or daily images).

A resource like would be useful - this one documents the 2016-2017 models:

Somebody (very recently it seems) have put together patches to install a custom Linux kernel compatible with the 2018 Macbook Pro - but this one is for Arch: :confused:

Regarding being able to read APFS partitions, my understanding is that there is an experimental open source FUSE driver that can be compiled from source:

FUSE is already installed and used in Ubuntu. For example, FUSE is used when mounting NTFS partitions.

1 Like

The big difference here is I think the T2 chip, which makes it (I think) uncomparable with 2016 & 2017 Macs. Anyways, this was actually more good information than I could hope for and I would even have the chance to do it via Arch-Linux, unfortunately I'm not a Linux native and I'm glad to be able to run and use meanwhile every Debian based version and I need my mac for work, so, as soon as there's a kernel for any Debian distribution I'll jump on it. :slight_smile:

I tried btw the install on external hardware, especially Ubuntu Mate 18 final (should I better choose 19?) and I wasn't able to do it since the installation is crashed every time at some point, I don't really know what the issue was.