Software Boutique, don't have required privileges?

I’m running MATE on a Chromebook via crouton, and it’s running fantastic, I couldn’t be happier.

Am having an issue installing anything from the Software Boutique, and I’m wondering if it’s a crouton issue, or something I can fix.

When I try to install anything from boutique, I get a box saying “You are not allowed to perform this action”. Underneath that it says “You don’t have the required privileges to perform this action”. Under ‘details’ it says: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: (‘system-bus-name’, {‘name’: ‘:1.67’}): org.debian.apt.update-cache

Is this fixable? It’s a minor nuisance, I am able to use Ubuntu Software Center by starting it in terminal via gksu. Gksu software-boutique does nothing.

System: Host: localhost Kernel: 3.14.0 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.16.1
Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Okay, I figured out a way that worked. Made link on desktop, rt click, open as administrator.

2 Likes

It’s highly likely to be an issue with Crouton and PolicyKit (which is responsible for providing elevated privileges only when they’re needed)

I have no experience with Crouton, but running the program as root will work.

Software Boutique and Welcome are actually the same program (at the moment), so the command is:

ubuntu-mate-welcome --software-only

I installed a fresh 20.04 on a Virtual box and got the described problem. After running the initial apt update and apt upgrade (and reboot) the problem seems resolved.
Ed Greenberg