Software Boutique - Package does not exist

What’s the general recourse when using the Software Boutique and getting the “Package does not exist” error? I get this across multiple packages (up to date). Is this something we should report here? Or is there a better spot? Or is there something I should try first? For example, I currently have this on:

• Package tor-browser isn’t available

Thanks for the insight.

Hi @noffin,

try installing “Tor” via the terminal (Ctrl + ALt + t) with the following command:

sudo apt-get install tor

Is the Boutique definitely subscribed for updates? If the Tor repository has changed, the latest version will have fixed it.

This error usually appears because the repository wasn’t added properly.

The official place for bugs is the Issue Tracker, or Ubuntu MATE Welcome so it gets seen by the developers… or here I guess, since I’m here!

It installs fine here (16.10.0-xenial1.8) so this is definitely the usual package errors. Try updating the package lists in the “Fixes” tab.

My current version is:
_ubuntu-mate-welcome 16.10.0~xenial1._7

Looks like mine is one behind (assuming that 16.10.0-xenial1.8 is your ubuntu-mate-welcome version). I had done all of the fix options in the welcome center previously.

I also just ran:
apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

And any updates available were definitely not for the welcome screen. Tried a dist-upgrade as well and there were no packages.

Tried this too:
apt-get upgrade ubuntu-mate-welcome Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done ubuntu-mate-welcome is already the newest version (16.10.0~xenial1.7). Calculating upgrade... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

And then I was thinking that I would launch welcome from the terminal to watch output…

[Apps] Packages to be installed: tor-browser [Pre-Install] Adding PPA: "ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser" and updating cache. --- Repository Installer ------------------------------------- ----- snip GPG stuff -------- OK Successfully performed function: "enable_ppa" for "tor-browser". [Pre-Install] Updating Apt Source: 'webupd8team-ubuntu-tor-browser-xenial.list'

…annndddd this time it worked. gah! I had tried for a few days. I guess it sorted itself out. Sorry to waste your time. All comments were appreciated.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Not sure about Ubuntu Mate Welcome as I mostly use the CLI to install packages but if you already use the terminal to update your system I recommend always:

apt-get dist-upgrade

instead of apt-get upgrade, that ensurse that all packages will be replaced by newer ones.

On a side note.

Times are changing. Apt-get dist-upgrade has been replace with:

sudo apt full-upgrade

Refer to:

man apt

1 Like

Though it is still supported and I use

apt dist-upgrade

e.g. As far as I know it does the same.

On Ubuntu and Debian, you have both options, using the syntax of apt or apt-get (the older one).

Yes, of course

Again yes, of course

And is still the future.