Software Boutique recommendation: flux.gui instead of Redshift

Love the Boutique. Oh, and listening to Linux Unplugged.

I just wanted to suggest swapping Redshift out in favor of f.lux gui. Seems like it has active development and keeps up with Ubuntu releases.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/flux

My reasoning is the color temperatures are adjustable in the indicator applet. Additionally, it doesn’t require geoclue to find location on your IP address. All you need to do is enter your coordinates or zip code and it sets your location.

Totally personal preference. I just always have problems with redshift acting funny when you exit the app and it never seems to reliably adjust when it starts up.

1 Like

Redshift is in active development too and is actually based upon flux. So why not have both?

That flux.gui indicator is open source, but I don’t believe flux itself is. That’s one reason to prefer redshift.

AFAIK Redshift was never based on f.lux. Maybe in principle since Redshift has been called a f.lux for Linux , but Redshift was around long before a Linux client of f.lux was made.

From the site http://jonls.dk/redshift/:

Redshift adjusts the color temperature of your screen according to your surroundings. This may help your eyes hurt less if you are working in front of the screen at night. This program is inspired by f.lux (please see this post for the reason why I started this project).