[SOLVED] Comparing Ubuntu Mate and Linux mint Mate?

Hi,
I’m hesitating between Linux Mint Mate and Ubuntu Mate ! What are the differences ?

Thanks for your answers !

Ubuntu MATE is better . Try both and you will see .

1 Like

I agree, first I tried Mint Mate - Ubuntu Mate hasn’t been exist. Then came Ubuntu Mate and I changed - finally! :smile:

And how Rodrigo says, find out!

They’re very similar. I agree with the responses that say try them both and choose the one you prefer.

They’re both based on Ubuntu (except Linux Mint Debian edition, of course) and both share the MATE desktop, but present the environment in different ways.

Ubuntu MATE is a flavour restoring the good ol’ traditional desktop we’ve come to love in Ubuntu 10.10 and before, whilst Linux Mint offers MATE as a lightweight alternate desktop to Cinnamon.

MInt is nice but has restrictions, it uses its own update manager which I personally don’t like, if you like using Synaptic, you will have use “Force Version” to get the one that allows you to run your updates through it!.

That aside, it is a good distro but I prefer Mate over it by a mile!. :smiley:

Thanks for your help guys ! I’ll try the both…

I am actually running both distributions in my laptop, LM 17.1 with Cinnamon and UM 15.04 …one big difference is overheating my processor … when I am using my 3D ATI card… and in this respect I am a daily long dose user …UM rocks…cause my laptop fan is so grateful after 3 or 4 hours gaming online…