[SOLVED] Formatting excisting Partitions

Hi! Drunkle Noob again, I am wondering how to format excisting Partitions within Ubuntu MATE… I had held hopes that Windows 8/8.1 would hold until the the upgrade to Windows 10 later this yr, but it has regressed t the point of no return and I am wondereing how to format those Window Partition’s to something usable and easy for UB…Help?

Hi,

boot the Live Cd and use Gparted, you cannot resize any partitions while a fully installed version of Ubuntu is up and running if that is what you mean!.

If you intend to wipe/resize Windows, look here, there are different scenarios so please read it carefully!.

Cool, Thanks man. I have installed MATE on a specially made partition…I just want to, yeh, wipe the partitions that exsist that hold Windows on them now. Stupid Windows takes 4 Partitions to be ok now, also, another Question…I was asked at install if I wanted to use a partition for RAM X-Over and is it possible to assign a partition after the Fact? Thank You so much for your help!

By RAM X-Over I assume you mean "Swap"? as I have never heard of that term!.

That is wholly dependant on how you laid out your partitions in the first place, I placed my swap partition within the extended partition before the first root partition, take a look at my layout, it might give you an idea of what I mean!:

If I wanted to, I could resize the partition /dev/sda6 because it is large enough and create more partitions in the available space!.

Read through the partition guide and it explains how to rid your PC of Windows entirely!. :smiley:

Yeh, Swap Partition is what I meant, and Thank you for the assist!

1 Like