[SOLVED] Help needed installing Ubuntu MATE on a Acer Aspire 5742

Hi,

I’m pulling my hair out trying to get an old Acer Aspire 5742 to boot from a USB pen drive, or a dvd drive for that matter. The flash drive seems to hold the most promise, but I am presented with the following error after the flash drive is selected as the first boot media from the BIOS menu:
Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart

blah, blah…
Broadcom UNBI PXE-2.1 v12.2.0
blah, blah…
PKE-E61: media test failure , check cable

After that the machine will boot windows 7.

I’ve played with pretty much any BIOS option available to me. Swapping between SATA modes has no effect.

The laptop is currently running windows 7, system BIOS V1.10 and it’s got an Intel i3 with 2GB of RAM.

I’ve tried booting from both the 32 bit and 64 bit ISOs on the flash disk. Same result for both (as above). I’m using a HP v210w 8GB USB pen drive as the boot media.

So, I guess I’ve got three questions:

1. Has anybody successfully installed Ubuntu MATE on the Acer Aspire 5742?
  2. If so, which version of Ubuntu MATE?
  3. And in which way (flash disk, DVD)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

did you fully format the USB stick before creating your bootable media and did you try downloading a fresh ISO from a different mirror?:

See also:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I reformatted the flash drive before attempting the install. I’ll read through those links you sent on and report back.

Thanks for the links, Unetbootin worked perfectly first time!

1 Like

Hi @ottimo_massimo,

please mark as solved so it helps others (Put a tick in the box at the bottom of the best answer!). :smiley: