[Solved] Issue when i use the 16.04 LTS image file for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 on a 8G SDcard

Has anyone had any issue to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 on a 8G SDcard ? I have already install Ubuntu Mate for Rpi2 on a 16G SDcard, and it works perfectly !

I try since few days, when i read the same problem on zdnet

Unfortunately there is a pretty significant problem at this point - and it’s not even mentioned in the ‘Known Issues’ section of the downloads page. The description at the beginning of that page says “You’ll need a microSD card which is 8GB or greater to fit the image”. However there seems to have been a mistake in the creation of the compressed image, because it wouldn’t fit on any 8GB card that I tried.

The issue is a kernel panic with the message :
unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

gibi92
:slight_smile:

Hi @gibi92,

on this site; it is highly recommend that you use a Class 6 or Class 10 microSDHC card. Do you have such a card?:

i add few precisions. I have this issue when i follow instructions here.

• Thank wolfman for answer. I use a microSDHC I class 10 from SanDisk Ultra.

• The md5sum for the download image file for raspberry pi 16.04 LTS is 01db8468c889d773a728dbbc4bede9f1.

• My OS is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and when i try to use gnome-disks, i have the answer in french “L’image sélectionnée est plus grande de 192MBque le périphérique cible”

• I saw an other topic on the same issue here and iamashwin99 describe a solution on ask here. I test it and it works well.

So, i changed my topic to [solved] issue.

@iamashwin99, thanks for the solution
@wimpy, do you know that the image file has this issue ?

2 Likes