[solved] Natural (reverse) scrolling

I have been trying to implement natural scrolling. My most recent attempt has been to change HorizScrollDelta and Vert ScrollDelta in /etc/X11/xorg.config.d/50-synaptics.conf. However, when I attempt it the computer fails to boot.

I also looked up the synaptics documentation

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

It has a section for MATE, suggesting I should use dconf-editor, but I can’t find the the setting they mention.

If anyone has a good way to implement natural scrolling, please let me know. Thank you

I don’t know how far you have gotten with this; but here are two pretty common ways to get it done. :blush:

I have heard that this first (and easier) one doesn’t always work; but it has proven great for some.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zedtux/naturalscrolling
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install naturalscrolling

Otherwise:

1. In terminal:

gksu gedit

1. Paste the following to the text file.

pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

(notice that #4 and #5 are switched. This represents the switch in the vertical scrolling direction… if you want the horizontal scrolling to switch as well, just switch the 6 and 7)

1. Save the file with the name .Xmodmap (with the dot in front) in the Home folder.

2. Close the file as well as terminal.

3. Log in & out and the mouse scrolling direction should change now.

To revert the setting, just remove the .Xmodmap file from you system.

Hi mated,

not stepping on your toes but I think this should be “gksudo pluma” in Ubuntu Mate?. :smiley:

2 Likes

Accord to the MATE 1.12 release notes, “Touchpad support is significantly improved and now features multi touch and natural scrolling.”

The ubuntu-mate-dev PPA has MATE 1.12.1 for Wily and Xenial. I’ve only installed it in a VM, so I haven’t seen or tested the touchpad functionality, but I can say it’s been stable for me.

I don’t think I’d install it on an absolutely required system, but give it a try as long as you can handle the possibility of needing to roll back via ppa-purge.

2 Likes

I upgraded to ubuntu-mate-dev and saw the addition of the natural scrolling checkbox in touchpad options. However, enabling did nothing. I added the ppa:zedtux/natrualscrolling, but the package naturalscrolling was not found.

Eventually, what did it was the addition .Xmodmap file with “pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12”

Thanks for all the help.

2 Likes

But of course… sorry, all :scream:… thanks @wolfman :sweat_smile:!

1 Like

Hi again @Senlis,

Glad the .Xmodmap file with pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 (or something at least) “pointed” you to satisfaction :laughing:; and sorry about the gksu gedit vs gksudo pluma (MATE’s fork of the Gedit 2 text editor):dizzy_face:!

Welcome to the MATE community! :santa:

That’s too bad. I was looking forward to that option in 1.12. Hopefully it will work by the time it’s in the stable release.

Looks like the latest packages in that PPA are for Trusty.

Open Dconf > org > mate > desktop > peripherals > touchpad > scroll-method and set it to the desired number, look at the bottom of that page, there are 3 options! (Change any other options you want on that page too!):

1 Like

That is for edge scrolling vs two finger scrolling correct? I want Natural Scrolling (reverse direction scrolling). My Dconf has touchpad options where you listed, and it does include a Natural Scrolling option. However, enabling it does nothing.

I did mark this thread solved. However, I didn’t use the solution I listed because it also reverses the direction when I use a mouse. I think I will just stick with default direction scrolling on both Mouse and Touchpad from now on.

Thanks for all the help though.

Thank you! I am running an old Dell Inspiron laptop with Linux Mate 20.02 and this absolutley worked for me!!!!!!

1 Like