[SOLVED] Raspberry pi 2 - vlc player does not play videos

I have successfully installed Ubuntu MATE 15.04 on raspberry pi 2. A have also noticed that vlc player 2.20 is already installed, but playing videos does not work. A read that VLC player 2.2 comes with hardware acceleration on a Raspberrypi but in my case it does not used it

a have also done the following

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-*

but with no success

is it possible to play movies on vlc hardware accellerated or am i missing something?

thanks in advanced

I had the same prblem with my Rasp Pi.2. VLC also does not play video when using Raspbian. This is a known problem. You have to use OMXplayer to play videos and it must be done from a command line.

If you click on the video file you want to play from the PCManFM file manager, you can assign that filetype the OMXplayer in the Custom Command Line tab thusly:

omxplayer %f

And to make it permanent, click the “Select selected application as default action for this file type” check box before hitting “OK”.

The only method that I have found that works well is on the download page of Raspberry Pi web site. http://openelec.tv/get-openelec is the link to down load the file. It turns Raspberry Pi into a media centre. One thing though. Make sure the audio settings are set for both HDMI and analog if you intend to use both sound outlets. At any rate, if the sound is not happening check the audio settings in this program.
Regards
Bill Hughes

The newest version of Ubuntu MATE (16 or higher) has Hardware Acceleration option in VLC. Select ‘OpenMAX IL’ as output on video settings.

1 Like

It is still not playing videos, whenever I try playing a video, screen goes blue. I have rpi3 HDMI output to TV.

Perfect! Worked awesome thanks for the comment!