[solved - still contains a suggestion for improving ubuntu mate] Compiz keyboard shortcuts

Hello everyone,

i would like to use compiz as it allows me to zoom easily on the screen with windows key together with mouse wheel, but i also would like to place windows e.g. on the left side of the screen with windows+left and right arrow keys.

But when i choose compiz these place windows on the right-left side are not present in the keyboard shortcut list. Is there a way to turn them on or solve the problem? The list of possible actions when choosing compiz is much more limited! (it would work even the other way if it’s possible to zoom the screen with marco)

Marco shortcuts: http://postimg.org/image/9943926nv/

Compiz shortcuts: http://postimg.org/image/qxqs3kc3f/

Thank you in advance.

I have installed compizconfig-settings-manager, launched it from system - preferences - look and feel, and found out that under grid there is a list of shortcuts.

The default is control-super (windows) right arrow and control-super left arrow.

A pity they aren’t shown nor it is possible to modify them in the defaults keyboard shortcut program, but i’ve solved the problem.

Hi @francesco, Glad to hear you found it ok. You might want to mention your exact keyboard layout and model since I find my “English (US)” and “Generic 105-key (intl) PC” settings for all 9 functions are the same but use the keypad in a geometric fashion. Marco and Compiz/Grid do name the same keys differently, however.

> Example of equivalent default settings.
> Marco:
>     Move Window to south-west (bottom-left) corner
>     Ctrl+Alt+KP End
> Compiz/Grid:
>     Put Bottom Left Key
>     <Control><Alt>KP1

I’d also like to mention the hard work by the Ubuntu-Mate team to integrate the Marco and Compiz default shortcut settings hasn’t gone unnoticed. :grinning:

1 Like

My keyboard is italian, i have found out the keypad associations, but they won’t work on a notebook without kp…

When i’ll retry a live ubuntu mate (now i have modified some bindings) i’ll compare compiz to marco shortcuts better.

Thank you!