Sound Converter problem in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 beta2

Hi I’m currently running beta 2 and I have a problem with Sound Converter it states MP3 Encoder not present. When installing 16.04 I selected to install the codecs.When I installed Sound Converter it also selected and installed gstreamer1.0-libav (from ubuntu software centre). I havn’t had this problem with other OS only since I installed 16.04. Is this fixable? I need to convert sound to aac and this is preventing that. I made sure it isn’t a Sound Converter issue and installed other programs and they all complain about mp3 encoder. I also tried Clementine transcode music and it fails and states " check you have the correct GStreamer plugins installed". Help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted this issue in another section on the forum but it looks like it was the incorrect section I apologise
Cheers

I was having a similar issue with Clementine on this thread:

The issue ended up being resolved with a simple update provided by the software updater. Make sure your system is up to date and also check the codecs in the welcome menu if you haven't done that already.

Thanks for the reply I have done all that I have been using 16.04 from beta 1 and when I installed it and was given the option I selected to install the codecs. I also have my system to check for updates daily and I install them all when they show up and it still isn’t working for me.

Hi @Haserkarn,

try installing the following package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install libxine2-all-plugins

Hope it helps?. :smiley:

Thanks @wolfman doing your suggestion cleared the “mp3encoder issue” the only problem left maybe you have another suggestion sound converter used to give me an aac (mp4) option that is no longer showing. In the welcome panel in the software boutique I have codecs selected and installed and when sound converter installs it comes with another install from Ubuntu software centre. It used to always show aac (mp4) as an option it must be missing a codec in the packages?

Hi @Haserkarn,

try the following packages:

sudo apt-get install faac faad

FAAC:

The FAAC project includes the AAC encoder FAAC and decoder FAAD2. It supports several MPEG-4 object types (LC, Main, LTP, HE AAC, PS) and file formats (ADTS AAC, raw AAC, MP4), multichannel and gapless en/decoding as well as MP4 metadata tags. The codecs are compatible with standard-compliant audio applications using one or more of these profiles.

This package contains the frontend.

FAAD:

FAAD2 is the fastest ISO AAC audio decoder available. FAAD2 correctly decodes all MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 MAIN, LOW, LTP, LD and ER object type AAC files.

This package contains a command line interface to play AAC or MP4 files.

Thanks again @wolfman I just installed that but still nothing. I get ogg,mp3,flac,wav and opus but no aac (mp4). In the about section it say’s it is soundconverter 2.9.0-beta 1 not sure if this is the problem? I’m sure this is the one I was running with the aac (mp4) option.

I installed clementine and tried to encode something (it gives me the aac(mp4) option) and it fails and says " Could not create the GStreamer element “ffmux_mp4” - make sure you have all the required GStreamer plugins installed"

“Couldn’t find a muxer for audio/mp4, check you have the correct GStreamer plugins installed”

That states it’s included in the codecs package? and the soundconverter install.

Hmmmmm, I’m not really sure, try the following if it is indeed what you want/need:

sudo apt-get install xmms2 xmms2-plugin-all

Yeah it’s a real head scratcher not sure what’s happening. I appreciate your help not sure much else can be done.

What about “smplayer”?:

Does that convert formats? or just play them.

I don’t know :frowning: , have a nose around on their forum:

http://forum.smplayer.info/

I installed it it plays but doesn’t convert. I appreciate your help not sure what next?

Hi,

try this:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1238