Sound indicator missing from Traditional layout in UM 17.10 Beta 1

As per title. I have just installed 17.10 (32 bit) in a VM and have found that the sound indicator is missing and there is now no longer an option to enable it in Mate Tweak.

Has this been dropped from UM? If so, is there a way for me to manually install it?

IGNORE THIS - IT DOESN’T WORK (SEE NEXT POST)

It’s okay - I figured out what’s happened.

For anyone else, who prefers the traditional layout, but who also wants the sound indicator - the following is what has happened and what you need to do to get the above traditional layout with sound indicator enabled I have mentioned:

Firstly, the indicator is installed. But, it is not enabled on the traditional layout by default. Neither is is available to enable on the traditional layout via mate Tweak. However, it is enabled by default in the “contemporary” layout. But, the contemporary" layout has the contemporary menu plus the panel-based currently active application menu, like with Unity.

So, the way to “fix” this (if that is what you want) to have the traditional layout with sound indicator enabled is to initially load the "contemporary layout. Then, remove the contemporary menu and panel based applications menu bar from the top panel. Then, add the “custom menu” (which is, in fact, the traditional Mate menu) to the top panel and position it on the far left.

At which point you are done.

Takes a minute to implement, So, no big deal.

No… Wait…

That doesn’t work

The menus in application windows are now missing. Presumably because this layout is “expecting” them to be on the top panel.

So, back to the traditional layout, but without the sound indicator.

That’s very irritating

The traditional layout is now the only “non-indicator” version, as far as I recall.

I believe eventually the panels will be indicators by default (possibly by 18.04), eliminating this problem in future. But for now (and 17.10), I can only suggest raising a bug report. I have passed this to the QA group.

(I too prefer Traditional with indicators – it’s going to be clumbersome re-configuring another layout just for that… until Traditional ditches the legacy notification tray for indicators)

I also ran into this when I was experimenting too, as I was expecting 16.04 behaviour when removing the Global Menu. Apparently it’s a dconf setting, but I haven’t dug into this any deeper.

I’ve found the settings location in dconf editor

It is:

org/mate/desktop/interface

After initially setting the desktop interface, via Mate Tweak, to “contempory”, removing the contemporary menu and global-app-menu and replacing them with the “custom” traditional Mate menu, you then need to set the following two entries to “false” at the dconf editor location mentioned above:

gtk-shell-shows-app-menu
gtk-shell-shows-menu-bar

Then it all works as it should

1 Like

Also, if you want the top panel to fully revert to the traditional Ubuntu Mate look, you can get rid of the indicator-session applet form the right hand end of the panel with:

sudo apt-get remove indicator-session

Then log out and back in

At which point, the standard “reboot-shutdown” button can be reinstated at the right hand end of the panel by adding it from the usual list of panel addons.

At which point, everything is back to the standard.

Having found out what to do to get everything back to the traditional layout, this is no particularly big deal for me and only takes a minute or two to implement. But, for new or less experienced users, this may be seen as quite an irritation and one could, if one were being cynical, suspect that this represents a slow and steady policy of starving the “traditional” layout of it’s original features in order to “persuade” users to adopt the other layouts.

I hope I am wrong on that and that the reason for these omissions in the traditional layout are merely as a consequence of this being an intermediate release and the team being understandably preoccupied with the other features that have been recently introduced. I guess well find out in due course and especially when the next LTS comes out.

@stevecook172001 I don’t think it’s an evil plot to persuade people to abandon the traditional layout, it’s merely a bug / regression.

1 Like