Sound optimieren - HDMI Sound von AMD Radeon zum BenQ Jack-out zum Kopfhörer

Hör mir auf du...

da ich Musik mache und höre, geht natürlich "nicht" meine externe Soundkarte auf Ubunut Mate 22.04.01.

Der einzige Weg ist also gerade über Kopfhörer am Display angeschlossen und der Sound von der Grafikkarte (HDMI). Ich hab DP und HDMI für die Displays, dachte erst es könnte am HDMI oder DP liegen aber die geben wohl beide mind 16 bit und mind. 192 kHz Sample Rate wieder.

Mein Specs:

Summary
Release 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-52-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8 
AMD HAWAII (LLVM 13.0.1, DRM 2.50, 5.15.0-52-generic)
LUKS encrypted
2 Displays

Leider habe ich irgendwie keine Subs, kein Bass auf dem Sound bei Monitor-Kopfhörern von

• Beyerdynamic DT-770-Pro 250Ohm

Wenn ich aber Volume aufdrehe übersteuert er.
Stecker steckt richtig, Kopfhörer sind nicht defekt.
Ich denke ich hatte schon mal besseren Sound in der Linux Umgebung.

Meine Soundwelt sieht also so aus:

• Hawaii HDMI Sound (R9 390) Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)
  • Connector HDMI Display Port 2
  • Alsa

aplay -l:

Summary

$: aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1150 Analog [ALC1150 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1150 Digital [ALC1150 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]<- This one
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]

Irgendwelche Ideen dazu?

since I make and listen to music, my external sound card "doesn't" work on Ubunut Mate 22.04.01.

I'm not surprised. A lot of manufacturers "forget" to create drivers (or deliver specifications) for linux.

I've carefully chosen my external soundcard for Linux support:

8 channels XLR input (10 jack output) and via the backplane coupled to another 8 XLR in ( 8 XLR out) linked via ADAT-lightpipe (all XLR inputs support 48V phantom power):

Works with Ardour (via JACK audio connection kit) and with Audacity (via the internal portaudio drivers)

So the only way is connected to the display via headphones and the sound from the graphics card (HDMI).I have DP and HDMI for the displays, at first I thought it could be the HDMI or DP, they both probably support at least 16 bit and at least 192 kHz sample rate. Unfortunately I somehow have no subs, no bass on the sound with monitor headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770)

The problem is not in the digital domain: Headphone amplifiers in displays are much too weak to drive the Beyerdynamic DT-770. This is also true for headphone amplifiers on most motherboards. This is the reason why you have distortion when turning the volume up and why a lot of bass is missing.

(Another possibility for missing bass is a faulty ground contact in the mini-jack plug connection, resulting in a 'left minus right' signal in both headphone speakers but let's not go there yet)

Any ideas ?

Yes: if you want to continue using the weak amplifier in the display, connect the input of a separate headphone amplifier (or an old hifi amp) to the headphone output of the display. By having a much higher input impedance you will most likely get your bass back and you will have enough power to drive your DT-770 :slight_smile:

However: Even if you have a separate headphone amp installed between display and headphones, don't expect "high-end" 16bit/192kHz quality from your display audio output. The analog part in display sound outputs are pretty mediocre to begin with.

3 Likes

Hah* thanks for explaining this issue, i fully understand, if u are right then it make sense to me.
My external device is a MOTU mk3 hybrid and i dont rly want to change this device yet, because, my main OS is WIndows.

I was just trying to switch slowly into linux, so, because its all very time expensive, i want to go slowly into Linux OS.
so it seems there is no other way as

• waiting if motu build a driver palette for the devices
  • switch to another device

Maybe this will interest you:

2 Likes

There is a chance that J.A.C.K. supports MOTU.

Also take a look at Audacity and Ardour.
Most of these software applications are installable from the standard repositories (main/universe/multiverse)

If you really want to dedicate your Linux install for audio: Look at Ubuntu-Studio
This is an Ubuntu-flavour heavily optimized for pro and semi-pro audio with a much better support for external sound devices and a "realtime" kernel which results in lower latencies in your signalpaths.
(You also will love the calf plugins :slight_smile: )