Sound Recorder shows in menu but will not work

Hello all,

Using 22.04 Mate

Sound recorder shows in the Apps> sound and video> Sound recorder. When I choose it it opens and will not copy the link (from you tube) to the app. It was installed via the Synaptic Package Manager.

A while back I installed it and it worked real nice. Then it quit working. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still doesn't work.

I know it is my fault but where am I going wrong? Not a geek. I'm old. Be nice.

Thanks mt

1 Like

Hi, just did a re-install of UM22.04.2 and all my programs. Use a calc sheet to track what I have installed with settings and procedures. Had Audio Recorder in 18.04 (think it changed names two times since) to use with LibreOffice read text module to create timers for Alarm Clock Applet (used espeak and read text to a file which I then opened in Audacity). Switched to better voices on Internet and uploaded text and while it reads back record directly in Audacity. Haven't used it but was still on my calc sheet. Tried it and it hangs up and doesn't record, have to force application to quit. Re-installed once, still fail, uninstalled. Sorry can't help you further as my workflow records before and after and then quick edit in Audacity. Good luck.

2 Likes

Not exactly sure of your needs but maybe try these settings when using Sound Recorder. Should be same. Also thank you got me thinking and reworked my procedure for process I use. Have removed gnome-sound-recorder and pavucontrol which was used in previous method.

1 Like

Thanks Mendy,
When I go into my sound settings>input I have different look from what you sent me.

Not sure what to do...

Thanks

mt

I'm on UM 22.04.2. Would you have a screenshot of your sound settings window with difference? Mine is laptop, perhaps you have a desktop. Upload screenshot to see what is different.

sound settings 7-28-23

Let me know if you need anything else...

Thanks so much

mt

1 Like

Ok, couple of thoughts. Click on Connector: down arrow and see what other choices are present if any, but don't think that is an issue. The way I sorta understand it is that by checking in Choose a device for sound input:
Monitor of ...... option it creates a virtual type microphone that records the output of the speakers.Maybe check in Output tab to see what connector shows. My previous image shows settings applying to my laptop's installed devices, yours will be different. Try switching to Monitor (possibly FHD may mess up??) Just guessing.

Shot of my Output Tab. On yours would show the FHD ..... in Choose a device for sound output. Another question no offense you do have sound playing correctly out of speakers when watching YouTube or other videos? Side thought are you using earphones? Sorry for all questions.

Hi Mandy
In Connector other choice is headphones2 7-28-23
Sound Pref on Line Out 1

Hear are my choices in Connector: Line Out or Headphones.

I am getting confused on what I'm doing...

Thanks

Do you have speakers or only headphones? On left is choices for my system input (checked built in audio to get dropdown) and on right is my output choices which no matter which one I chose it outputs to Audacity even with headphones unplugged and line out (had to get special adapter to hook to turntable to play records, old laptop had line in built in, not using at this point and not connected)
Do you have speakers working / plugged in though would seem to not matter as here output works on all three choices. Maybe try with monitor choice and unplug the headphones. Try quick multiple times as sometimes jack messes up. Had TV where all of a sudden remote didn't work. Turned out to be a jack on back, not used had to plug in multiple times and remote worked.

Bit the bullet and re-installed Sound Recorder. Played with settings and in image it just sits there without recording. Image shows it sitting there along side Audacity recording sound from video playing in background. Not sure how or what you were using sound recorder for but possibly Audacity might work with benefit that you can edit the tracks.

I was converting mp4's to mp'3..
Like I said, it was working great --------- then nothing!

Ok Thank You for your time and effort

mt

2 Likes

After 3 rd installation it doesn't work. Web says sound converter mp4 →mp3, errors saw mention of error, does work say mp3→ogg. Did find command line method that works but fussy in command ex. name video.mp4 no go have to "name video".mp4 same with output new sound.mp3 needs "new sound".mp3. Doesn't like spaces. That aside would recommend Audacity for your use. Worst case just uninstall it. Launch Audacity / File / Open / Your File.mp4 Open then File / Export / Export as MP3 / can change file name / Save / Edit Metadata Tags / just click OK
Now to exit it pops up Save project before closing select no or
if desire to work on another file File / Close / Save project before closing select no and you can open another file. Note: did find quirk at this stage the File / Open seemed to be frozen, found had to go to title bar and just slightly drag window and it now works. Always something. :grinning:
Gotta go for now to unistall Sound Recorder and Sound Converter as already have a better solution in my case. Thank you for jogging me into testing these.

1 Like

Ok Mendy...
I didn't know Audacity could convert.
Thanks again, and I'm done annoying you. LOL

mt

1 Like