Speed throttling?

Does anyone know if Comcast(Xfinity) or youtube throttles the speed?

I did a search for it but I mostly found recommendations to get VPN. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

If YouTube does it, there is nothing you can do about it. I am sure they deliver speed based on what they can provide since there would be no incentive to throttle for them.

However, an ISP like Xfinity would throttle based on the kind of service you pay for. So if you pay for a low speed service, you would get slow throughput. Pay for high speed and/or business class service and you would be prioritized for faster surfing.

1 Like

I am getting 300 Mbs download speed.

That’s about what I get at home in a mid tier plan.

1 Like

What speed are you paying for? And are you using an ethernet cable connection for your measurement? I found that I usually get 20%above the rated speed until I got boosted to 600mbs, now I am about 20% less.

I was not told a specific speed. I use an ethernet cable. Safer with a direct connection.

With COMCAST there is a specific speed you are paying for. You can check your account online or call and ask.

FAST

Internet Download speeds up to 300 Mbps; Upload speeds up to 10 Mbps $50.00 / mo

$50.00 per month for 24 months

So it sounds like you are getting what you are paying for. Maybe when this term is up you can negotiate a better or more speed for the same cost.

I will try to negotiate because at the end of 2 years, the price goes up to $80/month.

You also might google 'buffer bloat' --- I found that on my Spectrum 100/10 link I got much better response and less jitter if I artificially limited (in my router) the links to 80/8.
Not an issue now since I am on a 300/300 link (fiber).