Spleenico's desktop

Black is beautiful!
Not shown: open applications are seen on the bottom panel ("expand" unticked, "autohide" ticked).

5 Likes

Very nice, I really like the wallpaper.

Great looking setup! Darker themes are definitely my favourite too.

Thanks, for those interested in the wallpaper, here is where I got it from.
It’s taken from the Romantically Apocalyptic internet comics.

1 Like

Thanks. That would be even better if I could find a set of good-looking grey/silver icons to remove any colored icons from the top panel.
Any suggestions?

I like looking at other people’s screenshots to see if I can name all of the app icons that I see. While not free software, I also run CrashPlan as well. So far I have found it to be the most reliable and the 448 bit encryption is nice.

[quote=“mlsmith, post:6, topic:435, full:true”]
While not free software, I also run CrashPlan as well. So far I have found it to be the most reliable and the 448 bit encryption is nice.[/quote]
Hi Mismith, I am interested in your feedback about this. For some reasons most of the time I cannot shutdown my computer “normally” because of CrashPlan. It seems the process cannot be stopped properly and the system hangs. I found a workaround by running the command “sudo /usr/local/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine stop && sudo shutdown -P now” but obviously I do not find this very elegant.
Have you encountered a similar issue?
PS: I use Windows 8.1… nah joking, Ubuntu MATE 14.10.

Strange, I haven’t run into that particular issue. I have however dealt with the GUI not starting which I was fixed using this solution: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_App_Closes_In_Some_Linux_Installations. Other than that it has always been smooth sailing with both backups and restores.

Try “nouveKDEBlack” . Yes , KDE , but it works and it’s cool .

Try the icons and themes from Satanic Ubuntu . They are my prefered .

Thanks for your answer. I also had the GUI issue (and solved it using the support page you shared).

Thanks for the tip. It looks too black to be put on a black background. Almost no contrast.
I also had a look to the Satanic edition, but not my thing either.
Thanks anyway.

Some interesting results with nouveGnomeGray.

2 Likes

So ,try “nouveKDEGrey” . I don’t like this very much , but it’s OK

Hey ! I liked . Now I like this theme .

A new look with a new wallpaper, plank instead of the bottom panel for open applications, and back to the MATE-Faenza-Dark icons...

1 Like