'Starting Caja' Loop

Hi,

try running the following terminal commands which may/may not solve any problems for you?:

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Yeah I tried that before I created a new user with root privileges and deleted original root. Stetecook172001 was right, configuration issue not packages.

In hindsight I guess if I had deleted the configs that were giving me the problems then ran the commands that you suggest, I believe it would have solved the issue.

Ah well, live and learn.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this is a good place to ask for the help I need, but Iā€™ve been Googling around a bit and this one seems to be similar, but the most up to date.

Iā€™m using Ubuntu-Mate 16.04.2.
I just updated Mate from 1.12.1 to 1.61 using the instructions here:

Now Iā€™m having the problem where Caja starting, infinitely! I tried going back to 1.12.1 but that didnā€™t solve it. Iā€™ve also tried other things like editing the caja.desktop file with several ā€œexec=caja -nā€ variations, as people have suggested, to no avail.

Has anyone figured out yet, which configuration settings that are the culprit, or was that just for wgetā€™s grub problem?

Thanks!

I found a work around!

If anyone is still having the problem with Caja starting infinite times, look here:

http://blog.aguilarbros.com/2015/11/ubuntu-mate-multiple-caja-instances-on.html

If you donā€™t want to follow the link, then what I did was edit the ā€œ/usr/share/applications/caja.desktopā€ file where the entry is:

X-MATE-AutoRestart=true 

to

X-MATE-AutoRestart=false

That solved it!

Me being such a Mate novice, I donā€™t know what other side effects this change will have, but it sure did the trick.

Cheers!

1 Like

OK, so this is happening again. I installed Clam antivirus and it broke Caja. Every time I boot, Caja opens 9,999 incidences and crashes the machine.
I uninstalled and purged ClamAV, which didnā€™t change anything. Whatever changes it made to Caja are still in effect. I downloaded and installed xfce from cli so that I could have a working system and then tried every solution I could find on the internet. Mostly changes to caja.desktop. Nothing has worked so far. Does anyone remember what this bug specifically did to caja from a few years back? I canā€™t use mate until I figure this outā€¦

Mint 18.1
logged out and back in again. Problem solved.
Note: Not a Restart
PITA, but Iā€™ve had worse

I have been having the same problem with MATE 1.12.1 (I had not switched to this desktop environment for a while) and was confronted with the problem. Even more annoying as eventually no Mate related program would start its GUI.
Changing the config of caja.desktop entry seems to have solved the problem.
PS I used the nano command (ā€œsudo nano /usr/share/applications/caja.desktopā€) as the other editors seemed not to work!
Thanks a lot.