Strange file access permission issue

Well, this is another questions, that could do the trick to opening associate files to the app, not only permissions. Have you tried? Do it the trick?

What about opening your pic copied from this filesystem to your desktop with gimp ? Is it working ?

I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you are saying?

Well its funny you mention this, to split the mp3 I had to copy and paste it onto the linux host drive into my my docs folder there. I copied the image file to the linux docs folder and it opens fine in gimp albeit it just took it 2 minutes to do so????

Another strange issue with gimp is it takes one minute to open. I know its a big program but NOTHING takes one minute to open. This is an 8 core processor with 10gb ram and on a SSD. The computer itself boots to linux in 15 seconds. Firefox opens in about 3-4.

The only thing I have running right now is ubuntu store, firefox with four tabs open.

Try to rename image xxx.JPG to xxx.jpg
Does Gimp open it now?

From my end, I will need a bit more details about your config because I'm getting lost :laughing:
I guess you have one dual boot computer that runs windows and linux with a shared drive with NTFS filesystem. Also you have a VM ? running on windows ?
Where exactly is the issue observed ? - I want to be sure we understood your architecture :slight_smile:

I have two SSD one with linux the other with windows and a third HDD that I use to store data on and this has a partition both access so I can access the same data from bother OS.

There is no VM running on windows.

The issue is only observed in ubuntu, GIMP and another audio program cannot access the shared HDD partition.

This did not solve the problem,

Gosh, no offense, but it looks like this is an instance of poor communication. I'm supposing nobody here is a native English speaker, which is fine and plenty justifiable. However, that fact sure isn't making troubleshooting any easier.

After scanning over this topic multiple times, I've got some tips and explanations for what's happening:

(Translation: I used Caja and tried to set the permissions on the shared filesystem so that I had no access restrictions, but the changes were not applied)

This is actually to be expected. The idea that you'd need to change permissions on an NTFS filesystem on Linux is absurd, actually: The way the Linux NTFS driver is implemented, the filesystem doesn't support permissions and just gives the user who mounted the filesystem (that's you!) all permissions (read and write). Changing of permissions is literally disallowed by the NTFS driver, and hence Caja can't set the permissions at all. Theoretically, you should have execute permissions too, except Ubuntu and other distributions turn this off by default for security reasons; this shouldn't affect your ability to read files using GIMP.

Translation: GIMP may have been improperly installed or even corrupted for some inexplicable reason; @olek suggests completely uninstalling GIMP and then reinstalling it using:

sudo apt -p autoremove gimp
sudo apt install gimp

Translation (if it needs any): Neither the MP3 file splitter nor the GIMP can open (respectively) MP3 and JPG files on the NTFS partition, yet if I copy them into my home folder (presumably the Documents folder) and then open the respective files with the respective stubborn applications, it works.

This is where I chime in: @AnotherLinuxUser, can you please tell us what is the name of this MP3 splitter application? If you can just tell me the name or where to get it from (or if you wrote it, what library it uses to open files), then I can research the application and confirm my hunch, as follows:

I noticed that the GIMP uses the GNOME GIO library to read from files whereas neither Audacity nor Geeqie does. I have a sneaky suspicion that your "MP3 splitter" also uses GIO, and your so-called "GVFS cache" has been corrupted in some way or another. To test this theory, if you can, I want you to try this:

1. Create a new user. (You can delete it after you've finished this experiment.)
  2. Either unmount the shared NTFS partition, or reboot.
  3. Log in as the new user.
  4. Mount your shared NTFS partition if you need to.
  5. Now navigate to the JPEG file you had difficulty opening with the GIMP before and open it with GIMP in the same manner that you opened it on your ordinary user.
  6. Now use your MP3 splitter to try to split an MP3 file on the partition.
  7. Report to us whether steps 6 and 7 succeeded or failed, and also report any other information collected in this experiment which you think may be helpful.

I look forward to hearing from you. I know I responded a little late, but I hope to resolve the issue. Good luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks however I ended up reinstalling the OS. Spent way too much time pratting about so just reinstalled. I now have another weird issue. Started a new thread.

They say, that shared between OSes NTFS drive is often mounted read-only. I vaguely remember that one has to exit Windows performing a rite...
Say, https://superuser.com/questions/1394263/ntfs-file-system-read-only-by-ubuntu-remount-doesnt-work