Suggestion: beta testers for software boutique

In the last 24 hours I have run into two issues with new software that has been added to the software boutique. OpenShot suffered from a typo in the install script and Antiviral causing a caja loop.

I love the idea of new software being added to the software boutique but it concerns me that quality may suffer without sufficient testing. Would it be possible for a group of willing testers could have a chance to get hold of boutique updates a week or two early. This way new features could be tested on a range of machines and configurations. Helping to prevent this small issues being released on the wider user base.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I like it!

Behind the scenes, I’ve set up Continuous Integration so that every commit is automatically validated to reveal any typos or syntax errors that crop up.

This does mean we can have the ability to automatically create “daily” packages for users who’d like to get the bleeding edge packages. I’ll look into setting that up. :slight_smile:

I agree with @PendragonUK that it would be a good idea to have a first wave of testers for the new software in the boutique.

A ppa for testing that is used by a number of users, once any kinks are worked out then it get pushed to the main ppa. Just remember you have a small army of keen users that are here to help.

I’d definitely be on board for helping here :slight_smile:

A small army you say? :wink:

Listen up soldiers! Report to HQ for testing. :grin:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/ubuntu-mate-welcome-development-packages-for-testers/7246

Sir, yes, sir!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.