Suitable DVB Program for Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD - Ubuntu 20.04 Mate

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04, the programs that used to work with my DVB tuner no longer work.

I can't remember how it was set up. Hauppaugge have pretty good instructions, but I have no understanding of what they mean, but they all seemed to so what the instructions and video claimed here:

I've got as far as installing the firmware and rebooting my PC. At which point it says it is ready to "use by your Linux TV watching application" This is where I am stuck. I can't find a suitable program to play the freeview channels or even detect the device is there.
I've tried VLC which I always used to use and can no longer find any option to use a DVB device. Also tried Kaffeine and following instructions on how to get it working there, but when going to configure television, it has a greyed out model number of a completely different DVB stick and says there isn't currently one plugged in. I know mine is in and working as it has an orange and blue LED indicating that and it also has worked for around a year before I upgraded using VLC.

VLC never worked that well with it so I probably could do with trying a different program. I would prefer not to use the sort of program that opens up in full screen and makes it feel like you are using an entirely different operating system (kodi for example) as I find that a bit overwhelming.

Would much appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

1 Like

Since getting a new PC (despite having the same internal stuff on the hard drives), I seem to be able to get this mostly working now.

Kaffeine seems to work reasonably with it. It recognised that I had my DVB device plugged in, and I went through these following steps

:

In my case, my closest provider for the signal is emlymoor, so I selected that one. This was simply by clicking on television at the top left, then Device 1.

Then go to the television button at the top again and select "Start Scan"

Then you can add all the channels it has found as well as choosing the order you want them in, which I will likely change sometime. It doesn't find all the channels and I think this is very likely to be given away by the last time this scan data was updated 2 years ago. There were some changes to freeview around a year ago. Some channels it doesn't seem to find such as most of the HD channels on top of channel 5, including BBC 4 HD and BBC news HD.

It isn't perfect as it doesn't have all the channels, and some of the text information in the guide is sometimes made out of gibberish, but it is useful as a 2nd tv that is certainly nice to have on your computer.

I have noticed that over the years there have been several people having difficulty getting DBV devices to work with Ubuntu and I'm not very good at getting this this to work myself, but it is now so hopefully this can help.

1 Like