Support for SIS graphics cards please

Do you want to try some SIS code Iā€™ve found?

Hi Dave,

that might be nice but nothing too complicated please!.

Can you post it here so others can see it too?. :smiley:

I actually have 2 old SIS deb packages which I intend to try out on Ubuntu 12.04 and see if that does the trick!. :smiley:

OK

What I want to try is the SIS Kernel Modesetting Driver to see if it works with the 671. We will
compile and load the driver via DKMS. Iā€™ve got a script that does all of the heavy lifting for
DKMS so it should be easy.

(1) Letā€™s see what device we have. We should have PCI ID [1039:0671]. Verify by running

lspci -nn

(2) We should have loaded the sis_agp kernel driver. Verify lsmod | grep sis

(3) Letā€™s see what modules the Xorg server loads.

grep "oadModule" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(We want to view modules that get loaded -and- unloaded. ā€œoadModuleā€ is not a typo.)

The Xorg server should be trying to find and load the ā€œsisā€ and/or ā€œsisfbā€ module. If true, we can
continue. Else, things get real complicated. I donā€™t think you want to rebuild the Xorg package.

Thanks for that Dave but as I stated above, I have 2 SIS deb packages (32 Bit only) and I installed them on Ubuntu 12.04 then converted it all to Mate!. What you describe above is a bit too much for a noob to handle!.

If anyone wants the packages, PM me with your Email address and I will send them to you!. :smiley:

@mated. @Dave_Barnes

I used the Mate PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 ( http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-mate-18-in-ubuntu.html ) on top of that, it isnā€™t a Rolls Royce but runs okay with 1024 X 768 max res!. :smiley:

Thatā€™s OK. Iā€™ll be here.

1 Like

Good to know, I am not a noob btw; I just wanted to make sure that others reading the thread can get their heads around it!. :smiley:

Here is a screenshot of the desktop although it isn't quite finished!:

1 Like

I havenā€™t been a noob in so long I donā€™t know what itā€™s like.

Great desktopā€¦

What sis driver did you end up with? The sis-imedia one?

Hi Dave,

I used this one: xorg-driver-sis671_0.9_i386.deb

I also have this one: xorg-driver-sisimedia_0.9-1_i386.deb

I did have to run a small fix after installing the package by running:

sudo apt-get install -f

to satisfy dependencies!. :smiley:

I have had the packages since Ubuntu 9. :smiley:

1 Like

Not quite Ubuntu-Mate, but Scientific Linux 6.7 still runs on some fairly old hardware, and has updates until 2020 if Iā€™m not mistaken. Pretty certain it still contains sis drivers.

2 Likes

Thanks @misterA, Iā€™ll take a look at that, I have never used it because I canā€™t spell scientafiec!. :smiley:

I took a look on their forum and a lot of the messages about SIS are quite old and basically the same problems as they are with Ubuntu!. :frowning:

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and the Mate DE installed and it works fine(ish) so I will stick with that. :smiley:

PCLinuxOS Mate/LXDE and Rosa Linux work but have problems with the special function keys (FN + a key for sound, brilliance etc!).

After more research; I found this answer and now have Ubuntu Mate 14.04 installed!:

1 Like

This didnā€™t work for me ā€¦

Lubuntu 14.04 worked fine ā€¦ 16.04 is stuck at 640x480

sis671 in an old Averatec 6200

Tried an Xorg.conf from an arch sis wiki ā€¦
seemed to get stuck at the splash screen ā€¦ reverted back to the previous ā€¦

Least i know that Lubuntu 16.04 is using the xorg.conf now ā€¦

+1 Request for SIS driver support. Thanks!

Hi wolfman

Iā€™m new with the ubuntu OS and i have installed lubuntu 17.10, but i got that problem of the resolution.
I was told that i needed a sis driver to fix this problem, the thing is i dont know where to find a decent one and how to install, i believe i need to burn a disc to install this sis driver but i dont want to burn random discs to dont achieve any sucess.

Please help me, teach me how to solve this

Hi,

did you check this out?. :smiley:

it says 14.04 and 16.10, does it work for 17.10 too?

Ok, so i tried that, it worked, i reboot and press f6 and gives me a decent resolution. I rebooted a couple more times to test and there 's the resolution i wanted, but it kinda requires me to press f6.

Just a little question.

"I tried this on Ubuntu Mate 14.04/16.04/16.10 and Lubuntu 15.10, Press any key at boot (Live CD or USB stick) then F6 and set boot option ā€œnomodesetā€; it works no problem although it might occasionally go into suspend mode during boot!. "

Can you explain me this better? I kinda got a brainfart reading this and got a little confused.
Can you explain me this in other words?

Hi Nef,

I was trying it out on an old SIS graphics laptop and on occasion; the screen would go blank on me, that is really it in a nutshell!. It does work and you may well have to play around a little to get it to work for you, it depends on your system specs I suppose?. :smiley: