System almost freezes

Linux Lenovo-V330 5.11.0-34-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 26 19:22:09 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The problem I have and it has been suggested that I report it here; is either still the same problem or similar to problems reported six years ago as follows:
Linux Lenovo-V330 5.11.0-25-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 9 23:06:29 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
My system every now and then virtually stops and I have to reboot to enable control of everything again.
I mean I lose control of closing apps or opening Panel icons.
The only control I have is to open the Main Menu and scroll to the Shutdown.
Out of all this I think it happens when I click to open a New Tab on Google Chrome.
It is not a regular thing but is very frustrating. Especially if I'm working on something.
I have been using the Brave browser lately and have not encountered this problem with it so far.
I will stop using Chrome for now to evaluate things.
UPDATE: I stopped using Chrome for some weeks and used the Brave and Midori browsers instead. Yesterday after some time of no problems and still not using Chrome, I switched compositor again from Marco to Compiz. After using the computer for about 90 minutes I opened a new tab on the Brave browser and clicked in the Search bar. At this point I found I could not input text. I was able to open other programs but input was limited with some options not working. I could not input text anywhere so my work had to stop. I could not exit via the Top Panel and had to use the Exit button at the bottom of the Main menu.
All was well when I rebooted and so I changed my compositor back to Marco. This has been fine so far and again I will continue with this for some time to see if I get a problem or not.
I suspect all will be well and that the root cause is my graphics card incompatibility with Compiz.
I use Compiz on an older Lenovo which has the option to not use the graphics card driver. I don't have this option on my younger Lenovo.
Six years guys...and there were problems with graphics cards before this.
The thing is, I was an Admin on Ultimate Linux for a while and during that time graphics was not a problem on my systems. I used Dell desktops and laptops, Sony laptops, Acer laptops and a custom built eight core machine. All with no graphics problems and I used Compiz with the Emerald theme manager. Ultimate Edition ver.2.6 through 2.9 were brilliant Linux distros. Steady reliable systems. Unfortunately can't say the same nowadays. Something fundamental in the distro has changed and it doesn't want to work with my Lenovos.
C'est la vie.

1 Like

Compiz has been removed from Ubuntu MATE starting with the 19.10 release as it was a buggy experience and the devs wanted to focus on Marco.

Feel free to report your bug there if you care about Compiz:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz
While it provides a lot of eye candy, it's quite not usable at the moment.
Not much to do with your hardware or Ubuntu MATE.

Thanks for this. It's interesting that I had no problems with it years ago. Apart from the very limited Marco options with Ubuntu Mate is there a theme manager to match the options that Compiz offers? Thanks for you help.

Your narrative almost completely describes the same symptoms that I'm experiencing but different hardware. I'm been pointing a finger at the 1.26 UM desktop but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right area.

Sorry I disagree that's there is not a hardware issue. My older Lenovo has the option to use a NVidia driver through 'additional hardware'. This driver does not work if I choose it but Ubuntu does not tell me there is a problem.
A new user of Ubuntu might quite correctly choose the NVidia driver and not know what is happening when they then find they cannot see the desktop.
I have a lot of years experience although I have never gained the knowledge to work with driver software. I really wish I had because I believe a lot of Linux problems is the tremendous amount of hardware, especially video hardware built for Windows. That variety of hardware and the different software settings must be a nightmare for Linux programmers if they try to use bespoke drivers. Having said this the general software that drives Linux graphics is fantastic in its flexibilityTo be able to work with virtually any computer. Not having to go to a manufacturer's web site to grab drivers at every install is great. Not something that could have been said of Windows until recently and even now not all manufacturers make new drivers for Windows 10 of their equipment is several years old but still perfectly usable.
So to repeat my opening statement. I believe the graphics environment in a lot of distros is not complete OR something fundamental has changed with Compiz since then. As I've said 10 to 12 years ago all was well with the distro I was involved in and graphics was solid including the use of Compiz. The DE was a real pleasure to work in.
Mate is a nice distro and without any fancy eye candy it too would appear to be pretty reliable.
It's sad that my old laptop can use all the eye candy that I want but my younger one can't.
My next project will be to buy a new laptop of a different make and see how reliable everything is with Compiz and Emerald.
Keep up the brilliant work guys. We rely on you...

2 Likes

Just to mention that I had AND HAVE the same symptoms - I had to switch to Xubuntu where I dont have the issue - have no idea why the problem exists And know to little to explain or think what the issue is. Rusty

Since creating this post I've reinstalled 20.04 and Compiz with the Emerald theme manager and I now make sure that the 'move window' option and 'resize window' option are both checked in Compiz Settings Manager.
So far so good.
I now have an almost perfect theme for my taste. It is an adaptation of the Quicksilver theme with less opaque border and the frame compliments the overall his of my background.
Wobbly windows enabled of course.
I'll be doing some long stints on this laptop soon and will update this post as it happens...
Oh and just for laughs - I installed Lubuntu onto a 11 inch HPStream. This little laptop is supposed to run Windows 10 :rofl::rofl::rofl: but LUbuntu AND Compiz it can actually handle.