System freezes when connecting to external monitor

Ubuntu Mate 16.04
Lenovo T460s

System freezes when connecting to an external display via mini display port. Any fixes?

Hmm… Weird. Have you tried booting your system with the monitor already connected?

No, will that make a difference?

I really don’t know but I had a similar issue with a VGA monitor for a time. If I connected it after booting my laptop, I’d get this odd screen flicker. Conversely, if I allowed it to boot connected… It wouldn’t flicker. It’s worth a try :slight_smile:

Hmm, well oddly enough, I shut down the computer, plugged in the monitor via mdp, turned on the computer and it’s working perfectly. So plugging it in when the laptop is on is causing the system to freeze. Driver issue?

1 Like

It certainly could be, I never worked out the issue once I had found that work-a-round. Sometimes simple luck is on our side :grin:

Ok, so I think i (I mean you) yay! fixed it. So, after I booted the computer with the display plugged in (it was mirroring), I went to system/pref/hardware/displays and turned off the laptop display and unchecked same image in all monitors, and then unplugged the external display and the laptop display went right to work just fine. Plugged the external display back in with the computer on and it worked perfectly! I’m going to restart and see if it still works. You’re a genius!

Working perfectly! Maybe when I booted up with the display plugged in it learned to recognize the device.

1 Like

I’m happy it worked for ya! :grin:

1 Like