T5525 thin clients compatible with Ubuntu MATE?

HI All, don’t know if this is were to pose this. I have over some Hp Thin Clients model t5525 with embedded linux acquired in 2005. They have always worked from Ubuntu 10.04 LTSP server. Attempts to upgrade to any higher version of Ubuntu server failed so far because the thin clients just would not boot properly or got connected. I found out later that starting from Ubuntu 11.04 only Fat Clients with more RAM were compatible. Now given I work in school in Africa were IT budget is virtual non-existent, it is impossible to dream of replacing the Thin Clients with more modern Fat Clients. We feel very sad to even think of discarding all these workstations into dustbin simply because the Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported.

However when I read some where that the the MATE 14.04 supports old hardware, I want to know if our t5525 thin clients are compatible. This could be our only and last help to save our thin clients from the garbage can and closing our digital lab. Please help us some one.

Hi,

I don’t know anything about “thin clients” but this might help you?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP

I’m a fan of X2Go but recently I’ve been experimenting with noVNC. It’s fantastic!

Hi.
I have been exploring on this area as well. I have been part of a team in West Africa, in Sierra Leone to be precise, where one of the upcoming private institutions have been using over 100+ t5525 thin clients with ubuntu 10 as well.
I have been experimenting to see how later versions would support.

There are two ways I see a way around,
a. Installing light weight versions for each thin client, but not sure how the server would still be needed.
b. Installing ubuntu 10.04 but virtually installing an upgraded ubuntu version to control the thin-clients.

I hope it’s not too late reading this reply, as I see you’ve posted this quite some time back.